Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these fish from a pet store a few days ago... There were labelled as "orange zebras" but the store owner didn't know what they are...
I suspect that they are glofish (especially the bright orange one, I'm not that sure about the other one, it might be leucistic but i don't know)

What do you people think they are?
(Picture of both are attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying that they both are in fact glofish? One of them is clearly bright pink but the other is rather not coloured.. What do you think of it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, one of those fish is a pink glofish, which is a zebra danio. I believe the lighter colored one is an albino form of that fish.

Those fish are not what they are advertised as they are dyed, not born with the bright colors that the brand claims.

·
Registered
267 Posts
they look like glo fish zebra danios to me. some are red, blue, green,orange,etc, im sure they have some weird name like sunburst or lazer to describe their color that im not aware of.

edit- image isnt too clear and i don't specialize in zebra danions, but one of the danios may be albino and not genetically modified.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they look like glo fish zebra danios to me. some are red, blue, green,orange,etc, im sure they have some weird name like sunburst or lazer to describe their color that im not aware of.

edit- image isnt too clear and i don't specialize in zebra danions, but one of the danios may be
albino and not genetically modified.
I'll put in a better picture of the bright pink danio.
Yeah even I feel so that the other zebra danio seems to be albino/lecustic because it's not brightly solid coloured.....

·
Registered
267 Posts
the thing with glofish zebra danios is that they may appear to be fully colored under certain lights (black/blue lights?)
but they may appear in less color like in the image attached under normal led or fluorescent lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Its a glofish.
The thing is, they are a brand of fish, or rather trademarked, so unless the store bought them from Glofish, they can't be sold with that name. Could be the same genetics, but the store might have purchased from a private citizen or a breeder who cross bred the genetics into their fish. Meaning they can't use the term Glofish.

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a glofish.
The thing is, they are a brand of fish, or rather trademarked, so unless the store bought them from Glofish, they can't be sold with that name. Could be the same genetics, but the store might have purchased from a private citizen or a breeder who cross bred the genetics into their fish. Meaning they can't use the term Glofish.
Hmm. Thanks for the information!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts