Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think these are safe to put in the tank? I have looked around and gotten mixed messages on the seashell. (I found it in an old bin so I really don't know exactly where it came from haha.)

The other rock I'm not entirely sure what it is....some sort of crystalish stone.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
No, the shell can alter your hardness and pH, not good. Also any crystal like stone isn't safe for aquariums either, so I'd say no to that one too. :( You can put them beside the tank. Or, I put a big seashell like that behind the tank and it looks cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the shell can alter your hardness and pH, not good. Also any crystal like stone isn't safe for aquariums either, so I'd say no to that one too. :( You can put them beside the tank. Or, I put a big seashell like that behind the tank and it looks cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
I heard the shell might do that :eek: ...... Thanks for your input on the stone. I don't really know what it is. Crystal is my best guess. I heard they might be safe, dunno. But I won't risk it if I get caution from others.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are not safe for aquarium use.
Seashell: will raise the pH in your water naturally which is not good for fresh water fish.
Rock: looks like a geode? Sometimes minerals contained within the hollow are harmful.
Daw...okay... I'm just looking for more decorative items to put in the tank, I guess I will just put them beside her tank xD

Edit: I looked around some more since you clarified it as a geode rock, and other people seemed to not have an issue with them. Hard to tell what's really happening though. It also seems like each geodes are different and some are more safe than others. Some have minerals in them though that probably wouldn't be good in the water o.o

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fun things for tanks: ceramic mugs, Tera cotta pots, legos, pants( silk and real work best), margarita cups (make sure the glass/plastic is dyed, not painted) the decorations from pet store. However, if you buy one of their cave rock things, look at the inside. Is it wide and open? Or are there skinny spaces that a curious fish will fit into and get stuck? Happened to one of my fish. A good rule of thumb, stick your index finger in the small space and wiggle and move it. Does it move well? Did your finger get scratched and hurt? A normal betta is about the size of an average index finger :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fun things for tanks: ceramic mugs, Tera cotta pots, legos, pants( silk and real work best), margarita cups (make sure the glass/plastic is dyed, not painted) the decorations from pet store. However, if you buy one of their cave rock things, look at the inside. Is it wide and open? Or are there skinny spaces that a curious fish will fit into and get stuck? Happened to one of my fish. A good rule of thumb, stick your index finger in the small space and wiggle and move it. Does it move well? Did your finger get scratched and hurt? A normal betta is about the size of an average index finger :)
I have been looking around for things at home to use because I don't get out much. I already have a little lego window prop in her tank xD

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh, okay :) haven you thought about the glass thing? It's real fun. I had one in bennys tank, had it standing with a plant out the top. Since his tank was tall it gave it more to look at. I now have it in Sykes tank on it's side, and he try's to swim in it :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would a plastic sea shell be ok?
I suppose so, especially if they are sold at a pet store. Otherwise, just make sure they aren't "painted." A plastic shell seems kind of weird to me, because it would seem really close to being just like a regular shell. Hmm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.