Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Butterfly Betta yesterday. He is very active, curious and eats like a pig. I am curious however about his markings. I have never owned any of the fancy Bettas before so I just wanted to see that these markings were normal.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
From those pictures I really can't tell. If you can get a couple of clearer pictures I'd be better able to tell if they are normal or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are these normal markings for a Butterterfly Betta? Is this guy okay?

From those pictures I really can't tell. If you can get a couple of clearer pictures I'd be better able to tell if they are normal or not.
Hopefully these are better. He moves around fast and it’s hard to get a good picture. I noticed from looking down that he seems to be missing scales on a large patch near the top of his head. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t know.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
It appears that he has a genetic marble gene and may be changing colors. Keep a watch but as long as he is eating and active I would not worry. You could also add an Indian Almond Leaf or Rooibos tea...both of which have antibiotic properties.

BTW, he is not a Butterfly which have to have a solid body and equal portions of color in their fins: 50/50 if a bi-color and 33/33/33 if a tri-color.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears that he has a genetic marble gene and may be changing colors. Keep a watch but as long as he is eating and active I would not worry. You could also add an Indian Almond Leaf or Rooibos tea...both of which have antibiotic properties.

BTW, he is not a Butterfly which have to have a solid body and equal portions of color in their fins: 50/50 if a bi-color and 33/33/33 if a tri-color.
Thank you for that info. He came in a Petco cup that said Butterfly but the picture on the cup
didn’t match him which had me confused and wondering what his patches were. Do you happen to know what type he might be?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
Right now I would call him a Marble....if the white and red indicate a color change. That is why I suggested keeping a watch. As long as the white and red area is not abraded and look more like coloring he is going to be one interesting-looking, and gorgeous, Betta.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I would call him a Marble....if the white and red indicate a color change. That is why I suggested keeping a watch. As long as the white and red area is not abraded and look more like coloring he is going to be one interesting-looking, and gorgeous, Betta.
Very interesting to learn. I’m definitely going to take some pictures of him every few days or so that way I can keep a good eye on what’s going on. Thank you again for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts