Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something in a different forum concerning bacteria immunity to antibiotics, kanamycin (in Kanaplex) in particular. The person discouraged the use of Kanaplex for milder bacterial infections such as fin rot, and suggested it should only be used for severe infections. Since Kanaplex is so effective at treating a broad spectrum of bacteria, it makes sense that we would want to keep it that effective for as long as possible. I have personally used it to treat fin rot (tl;dr tail injury and subsequent recurring infections); I had tried a couple of other medications but Kanaplex worked the best by FAR.

Apparently it took only 5 years for Tetracycline to become ineffective in humans, and that's why it isn't recommended much anymore? Is this true? Should we only use Kanaplex in an emergency? (Even though it is the best antibiotic imo.)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It depends on the severity. You can try methyelene blue baths and keep a little salt in the aquarium ( I don't do a full dose) there is also Tetra or Jungle Fungus clear both contain similar ingredients to Furan.
Kanaplex is certainly effective but it is considered to be the last to try. The problem is doing a long line of treatments can create toxicity.

Doing health check on your fish daily is a good idea. Stare at them closely and intently and notice anything different. Watch their activity level for changes, lethargy, eating less, huddling by the heater behind things, hiding more than normal. Of course do the correct tank maintenance. There is one person on the board that says you are caring for water rather than fish. As in if the water is right the fish should be fine too. Catching things early or keeping the from happening can keep us from having to reach for Kanaplex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts