Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought an Argentine Sword when I was setting up my divided 10 gallon. It seemed like it was doing great, but now the leaves just seem to be dissolving. My tank is finally cycled: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 5.0ppm nitrate. I do have Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel that can be added to help, but right now I just started to have a bloom of brown algae. So, I've stopped momentarily. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
That is a nice plant (Echinodorus argentinensis).....and stay a bit smaller than the amazon sword.

Make sure the crown is slightly above the substrate-better to plant too shallow than too deep...

Did it come potted and if so-did you remove the pot and any rockwool

It may be going through a normal leaf change-submersed-v-emersed leaf-especially if it came in one of the tubes.

What kind of lights do you have-age of bulb, watts, kelvin and photoperiod
What kind of substrate and how deep, how long has it been in your tank when it started to look bad. Is it all the leaves-outer, inner...etc.....can you post a pic....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It came in the tube and came with a bunch of stems. Originally, it was in the center of my divided aquarium where the filter and heater are. Some of the leaves started to almost have a trasparent look to them, so I thought maybe the water current was too much for it. I ended up dividing it between the 2 fish sides. I had to be careful because it had already started to grow tons of roots. I carefully replanted them, making sure to bury as much of the roots as I could. They haven't been moved since. The transparentish look has never went away and now some of the oldest leaves seem to be turning brown. There does appear to be new growth at the bottom. It was in the center area for about 2 weeks or so and then it's been about 3 weeks or so in the current locations. My light is fluorescent and the current bulb is the one that came with it. It's on most of the day and gets turned off for fish resting time overnight. Eventually, I want to replace the bulb with a aquarium plant growing bulb and I want to get a light timer to regulate the lighting better. Was looking into this bulb to replace the old one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Plant-and-Aquarium-18-Fluorescent-Bulb/16911800
Is this an improvement for lighting a planted tank?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Plant-and-Aquarium-18-Fluorescent-Bulb/16911800

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
It sounds like it is going through a normal leaf change from submersed to emersed...I would pinch or cut the transparent leaf off and the heavily brown leaves as well...

Like all plants-they will have a normal leaf die off on occasion....

Make sure the crown of the plant is above the substrate too-otherwise it may rot and die.

For lights-make sure that light is at least 6500k...I couldn't find that info on it....I use the GE "Daylight" 6500k bulb that I get in the lighting dept at wal mart....they need to be changed out every 12 months even though it states good for 3 years....florescent bulb intensity is lost over time...... we can still see the light but the plants can't to use it for photosynthesis.

For photoperiod-10-12h/day is best for live plants

If you are using plain gravel-you may need to use some root tabs on occasion too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts