Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Yesterday my betta fry turned 11 weeks old and I’ve had them in separate containers. Since I moved them to the containers a few have shown the horizontal stress stripes and a few have lost the stress stripes and have settled into their new spaces. Today I moved the paper blocking their sight of each other to see reactions after being separated. Some lost the stress stripes immediately and darkened in color. A few others actually gained vertical lines which I’ve read is breeding bars or stripes that only females will show. So my question is, is it too early for these fry to be showing breeding bars since they haven’t reached the 4 month mark yet? Is it safe to assume these are females or is it too soon to be absolutely sure?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve never seen the vertical lines in person before since none of my females ever showed them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm guessing the vertical stripes this young do mean female, but I'd get another opinion. 🤔

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
IME, young females ALWAYS show vertical light colored lines when they color up. It's the first sign I look for when separating young fish. Very few females do not show these bars.

When they age and become sexually mature or have been separated for some time, may lose these lines until they want to breed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys this helps me a lot! I felt very positive that’s what I was seeing but I was second guessing myself. I’d really hate to mess up genders it feels like a big responsibility to get that right for whoever adopts them. The pressure is on haha. This is all a first for me I REALLY appreciate the responses 💜🤘🏻💜

1 - 7 of 7 Posts