Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a little concerned my little guy is losing a lot of his colour very fast! I am worried something is wrong. He is showing no other signs of sickness other than the losing colour, his fins all still good, and behaviour normal. We have a 20 gallon community tank with 8 harlequin rasboras, 1 bristlednose pleco, 3 peppered corydoras, and 3 panda corydoras. The betta gets alone with them all fine and ignores them pretty well. He has been eating on an algae waffer when I wasnt looking and got very bloated so I didn't feed him for a day and he did it again! So now I have to scare him with a net while the others eat for an hour which I think is very stressful and I think this is why the discoloration started to happen! Also the pH of the tank was 8.6 for unknown reasons for about a week which I made another post about here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=4367738#post4367738 but it is back to a pH of 7 the past couple days. I have bought a breeding net so that when it comes to feeding time we can just put him in it and it gives him much more room and less stress however shipping takes a month:/ I feel bad for him. What should I do in the meantime? Is he sick yet? As you can see there is discoloration more around his head and outside of body his tail and fins are still unaffected

This is him before

Housing

What size is your tank?: 20 gallon
What temperature is your tank?: 76F
Does your tank have a filter?: yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: no
Is your tank heated?: Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: 8 harlequin rasboras, 1 bristlednose pleco, 3 peppered corydoras, and 3 panda corydoras.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Hikari color enhancing pellets, once a week freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish?: 2 pellets twice a day (before I did 3 pellets twice a day)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: once weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
GH: 75ppm
KH: 120ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: losing colour on body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Has not changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: A week ago when he started eating algae wafer :(
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: Preventing him from eating algae waffer and cut down his feeding to 2 pellets twice a day.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: No
How old is your fish (approximately)?: 2 months

·
Registered
123 Posts
too bright or dark lights sometimes makes the go colour duller you should have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If he's showing no other signs of illness I wouldn't be worried. Looks like he's just changing color. Some bettas do that. If you're really anxious you could separate him into a QT tank and keep it covered. See if TheAnimalLover is right and his color comes back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
raz passed away he lost colour then went paralyzed and passed away in a matter of hours it was the strangest thing i miss him :-(

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That's so strange. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. I can see some striping in his most recent pictures so likely something we couldnt see was worrying him.
It is always bad when something mysterious happens because it is so difficult to pinpoint the cause, however I can tell from both your concern and his wonderful coloring before that he was extremely well taken care of.

S.I.P Raz, you will be sorely missed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts