Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the site and just getting acclimated here. I currently have 4 pet store Bettas - B, a male veiltail. Blu, a female crowntail and Storm, an elephant ear/dumbo. The fourth doesn't have a name yet. While at the store a few days ago, I noticed two cups labeled "baby betta." One was dead and the other was well on it's way - so I bought it to try to save it and hopefully give it a better chance to survive and have a good life.

I believe it is a female veiltail. It is very small. I'm guessing around 4-5 weeks old. Cannon believe they would sell it that young.

Over the course of the last couple days, she (?) has grown and is actually getting a pinch of color in her dorsal fin.

However, I think she is deformed. One side of her face seems flat and not well formed, including the eye. While not surprised given the store it came from, and the fact that they were selling it so young, I am a bit concerned for this little gal.

I have included the best pictures I was able to get - from both sides and above.

Any suggestions or comments on this? Could she still be "forming" or is this something that should have been formed and in good shape long ago in her development?

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hear deformed babies can sometimes work out their kinks as they grow- I haven't seen that happen to me :p I bought a baby betta with a kink in his tail- it's been there for months! I don't ever think it'll disappear. I'd say as long as there's no problem moving around etc its fine!

She does look veeery skinny though.Try to fatten her up with some quality food! I stuffed my lil' ones with 3x a day feedings until their bellies looked round.

I love the colors on her!

·
Banned
688 Posts
that baby isnt 3-4 weeks. It looks 6 weeks to me. Its big and got some colour already. At 3 weeks, babies only begin to grow their fins and thats still tiny. 4 weeks they start getting color and their fins are still very, very small. Also, her face looks like its been injured..i dunno what can be done for that since salt is very bad for baby bettas

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear deformed babies can sometimes work out their kinks as they grow- I haven't seen that happen to me :p I bought a baby betta with a kink in his tail- it's been there for months! I don't ever think it'll disappear. I'd say as long as there's no problem moving around etc its fine!

She does look veeery skinny though.Try to fatten her up with some quality food! I stuffed my lil' ones with 3x a day feedings until their bellies looked round.

I love the colors on her!
Thanks! I'm hoping the tiny bit of greenish blue that's showing will increase but we will see. I'm feeding her bloodworms, crushed omega one pellets and first bites. I'm going to go get frozen brine shrimp today. I don't really trust the live brine shrimp my fish store has, as it made my other betta sick the time I tried with him. Any other suggestions on food?

Sorry to hear about your guys tail. I'm glad he can swim okay and it doesn't impact him!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that baby isnt 3-4 weeks. It looks 6 weeks to me. Its big and got some colour already. At 3 weeks, babies only begin to grow their fins and thats still tiny. 4 weeks they start getting color and their fins are still very, very small. Also, her face looks like its been injured..i dunno what can be done for that since salt is very bad for baby bettas
I was thinking 4-5 weeks originally. Now that you've described the ages, I agree with 6.

Interesting point with her being injured. I never thought about that. I guess I assumed being in her pet store cup alone would prevent that, but never considered what could have happened prior to making it to the pet store.

She does seem to be impacted sight wise on the bad side, as I often see her turn around the opposite way to see things from that side.

I have about 1/4 of the regular dose of aquarium
Salt in her tank, with about 40-60% water changes every other day so far. Would you suggest that I stop replacing the salt I'm taking out?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I personally use new life spectrum's all purpose :p The ingredients in them are high quality, but the price reflects upon that. Not that I mind since I'll be using the same food for 2-3 years. Plus, they come in a variety of sizes! I often see people recommending New Life Spectrum Grow .5mm pellets (Suuuuper tiny- perfect for babies!) It's basically just contains more protein/vitamins than the normal NLS pellets.

There's another one called Omega One Betta Buffet I see people using, the containers are much smaller and the pellets bigger. It's easier on the wallet short term because it comes in a smaller container at 4$ for .61 oz in my area. However, I can buy 2.1 oz of NLS for $8. I can't really argue on the ingredients for Omega One since I've never personally used it. But I can say that I'm not too much of a fan for them using wheat twice in the first couple of ingredients.

Overall - NLS wins for me because I have had success with it personally/good pricing for the amount I get x3

·
Registered
209 Posts
Glad you rescued her! Ive also heard that Betta babies can outgrow their issues given they are kept in optimal conditions. You seem to have her in a great setup and im hoping she will outgrow her issue and live a long happy life!! She has a much better chance at survival with you. At the very least she will have a better quality of life with you than at at the petstore! Even if she doesnt outgrow her deformities, she is MUCH better off with you than in a tiny cup on the perstore shelf! Congrats on the new addition! Looking forward to seeing pics of her progress and seeing how much she grows!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally use new life spectrum's all purpose :p The ingredients in them are high quality, but the price reflects upon that. Not that I mind since I'll be using the same food for 2-3 years. Plus, they come in a variety of sizes! I often see people recommending New Life Spectrum Grow .5mm pellets (Suuuuper tiny- perfect for babies!) It's basically just contains more protein/vitamins than the normal NLS pellets.

There's another one called Omega One Betta Buffet I see people using, the containers are much smaller and the pellets bigger. It's easier on the wallet short term because it comes in a smaller container at 4$ for .61 oz in my area. However, I can buy 2.1 oz of NLS for $8. I can't really argue on the ingredients for Omega One since I've never personally used it. But I can say that I'm not too much of a fan for them using wheat twice in the first couple of ingredients.

Overall - NLS wins for me because I have had success with it personally/good pricing for the amount I get x3

I picked up some NLS but not the Grow. They were out. However the type I got is 5mm. She seems to prefer live food, but what betta doesn't lol. I'll post a pic or two in a few days to update on her growth/progress.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you rescued her! Ive also heard that Betta babies can outgrow their issues given they are kept in optimal conditions. You seem to have her in a great setup and im hoping she will outgrow her issue and live a long happy life!! She has a much better chance at survival with you. At the very least she will have a better quality of life with you than at at the petstore! Even if she doesnt outgrow her deformities, she is MUCH better off with you than in a tiny cup on the perstore shelf! Congrats on the new addition! Looking forward to seeing pics of her progress and seeing how much she grows!!!

Thanks! I'm changing the water every other day. She has a sponge filter in there too. I questioned the "natural" sand substrate but it hasn't posed and issue yet. My fingers are crossed that it's something she can grow out of but as another poster mentioned, it could be an injury as well. Either way, she's improved since I got her, so that's a good thing!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so here is an update on this girl.

I decided to get rid of the sand on the last water change.

She has since grown and bursted with color. It literally came on very quickly after the last water change. I was afraid something might be wrong but she's doing great! I have attached pics.

Still trying to come up with a name for her...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

She has grown so much! Her fins are very long now, but clear except for a pastel like metallic green streak on her caudal and ventrals.

The bright red has turned into more of a brown color now, but the main color on her body is still that salmon/light or pale pink color.

I will try to get a pic up soon. She's really fast!

Also saw her flare yesterday and she attacked her poor snail friend today. She's getting feisty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Original Picture on First Day

And here is the original picture from the first day or two that I got her. Big transformation! I'm glad she survived and seems to be flourishing now!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts