Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My re-introduction to fishy fun started when I came upon Petco's baby bettas. (It has been years since I've had fish, but I've always wanted to have them again someday) I curiously looked into the jars, only "window shopping", not really expecting to get one. Well, I saw this pretty, shiny, multicolored, pale little thing who was so TINY. I found my heartstrings being pulled, and before I knew it, the little guy was in my shopping cart along with my intended purchase of dog food. Soon, little baby betta got the name Flash!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Four days later...

Three days after adopting Flash, I was back at Petco for some food for little Flash (I had been reading up on how to care for these fragile little guys!) when I perused back over by the baby bettas. I told myself I was just looking, but I knew I had an alterior motive. I really wanted to get another one! Amongst the dreary, grey babies, this little red, energetic fishy caught my eye. Somehow I managed to just walk out with the food and not the betta. However, the whole next day, 10/20/2014 while I was at work, I was thinking about the little thing and so what did I do? On the drive home from work, I stopped back and adopted baby betta number two! It took a couple days to decide on a name (Dragon for a boy? Ruby for a girl?) when finally the name Lava was decided upon.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics of Flash on 10/20/2014, the day that Lava was adopted. In a couple of days, it seems like he'd changed so much! I noticed what might possibly be the beginning of marbling near his head? Also, a mysterious notch had formed in his tail. It didn't seem to affect him, though! I was beginning to learn that Flash was full of energy and spunk!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
10/23/2014

Pics from 10/23/2014... ONE WEEK "ANNIVERSARY" of having Flash!
So many changes in such a short time!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10/26/2014

BuBbLe NeSt!!
Flash made his first bubble nest on 10/26/2014. I guess it means we know he's a boy! Here are some pics of his first attempt :welldone::welldone:
He also is flaring his gills in one of them- so cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10/27/2014

Lava's ONE-WEEK "ANNIVERSARY"! Lava has now been here a full week. I'm starting to have my suspicions that S/he is a female... to me, the body type is female, she doesn't flare, she's more "stripey", just totally different from Flash. After posting pics here last week, some thought perhaps Lava was a male, but I'll put these new pics up for some examination...

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10/27/2014 #2

Also, on 10/27/2014, Flash and Lava got moved into a bigger tank. Thanks to helpful tips from this site, I was able to construct a divider. My first installation wasn't very secure, and I was suprised to walk into the room to find Flash in Lava's side! I watched for a moment, and Flash was flaring and darting like crazy, but Lava- ever the laid-back fishy, took it in stride. I then moved the silly boy back to his side, did some re-adjusting of the divider, and all has been fine since :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
just so you know females will sometimes make bubble nests too, its not a gender only thing.
im glad they got a bigger tank! what size is it? also is your heater set to around 82 degreees? baby bettas need a little warmer water.
my last suggestion is to get some silk, or easy live plants (anubis, java fern, java moss ect.) because bettas love their plants! they are cute! that last pic is adorable!

edit: oh yeah! make sure they cant jump over, youd be surprised how far the can jump lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just so you know females will sometimes make bubble nests too, its not a gender only thing.
im glad they got a bigger tank! what size is it? also is your heater set to around 82 degreees? baby bettas need a little warmer water.
my last suggestion is to get some silk, or easy live plants (anubis, java fern, java moss ect.) because bettas love their plants! they are cute! that last pic is adorable!

edit: oh yeah! make sure they cant jump over, youd be surprised how far the can jump lol
I didn't know that females made them too, lol, you learn something new every day :) I'm definitely slowly but surely adding things to the tank to make them happier... today I got a background sheet, a moss ball, and tonight I have been looking on Amazon at plants and caves etc.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
10-28-2014

The tank is getting some sprucing up... a backdrop and moss ball has been added, and I am looking at all kinds of other decor.
But the biggest news is that Flast re-built his bubble nest in his new home! It's only been a day since their upgrade, and he's already hard at work. Cutest of all is that the nest is right at the divider... I think he has some fond feelings for his roomate :love: At least I hope... I don't want him to get too stressed out or frustrated that he's so close to the fish on the other side!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10/29/2014

I've heard that young bettas can experience color transformations but this is the first time I've had young bettas and have never witnessed it before... am I seeing some marbling appear on flash? I have no idea, lol. Plus, the jury is still out on whether Lava is a male or female, but do I see ovaries? My novice eyes can't tell!:hmm:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 462 Posts