Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1081 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Progress

What a long week. I wasn't home for several days, except to pop in once a day to feed the fish ans water the plants. I was afraid Phil would bite again since he was down to 1 meal a day and didn't get frd at all yesterday. It looks like he bit just a little, much better than I expected. He did almost take my finger off when I gave him his dinner.

I got him a new silk plant and, gasp, I got him a small anubias. I've been wanting to try live plants for awhile. I can't believe I spent $6.99 on it. I had dreams it would grow quickly. Today it's not looking so great. Two of the leaves have brown spots. I took it out of the tank and put it in a seperate container do it wouldn't contaminate the water. None of the tank lights were on while I was gone. The tanks get natural light during the day. I thought anubias was a low light plant but maybe it needs a little. I need to figure out better lights because both tanks have low light.

Poor Phil was like "wait, where are you going with my plant?" When I put it in he looked at it and showed interest. This is contrary to when I put the moss ball in and he flared. Hopefully the anubias recovers quickly so it can go back in.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A rescue

My boss found two abandoned bettas today. They were both in small bowls and in very little, very dirty water. Typical gravel and 1 small plant. They are both lethargic. I took the red vt. At lunch I ran him home, added Prime and set up the 2 gallon qt. I left him in his bowl but added about 12 ounces of water to get acclimation started. His water is disgusting. Obviously hasn't been changed in forever and lots of uneaten food. It was so dirty I haven't been able to get a good look at him to see what's going on. My coworker thinks he had white spots on him. If he does have ick, I'll raise the water temp. I already added aquarium salt to his new tank. Hopefully he makes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Acclimated

I acclimated the rescue tonight. I put him in a cuo to float in the new tank for about half an hour. I added some of my water slowly. When I released him he sat half in the cup and half out for several minutes. Poor thing didn't know what to do. And he may also be a weak swimmer.

The temp is up to 84 to help with the ick, which he definitely has. I also added aquarium salt and Prazi. I saw him poop a white string so I'm going to go ahead and treat for internal parasites. I'm mostly worried about white string he has around hjs tail. I posted in the disease section to get some input.

I had to rob Phil of his thermometer and Ruby of her terra cotta planter. Phil, who dislikes change, swam around frantically while giving me the "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY TANK" look. I'll buy replacements tomorrow.

For now rescue is covered with a towel to help him adjuat. Hopefully he makes it through the night.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks. I work in property management and someone abandoned them during an eviction. My boss had to do an inspection and found them.

Ok I can't help it, I'm checking on him.....

He's floating at the bottom of the tank. He's upright so that's good.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Doing ok

Rescue is doing ok. He's at the top of the tank but seems to be a weak swimmer. I'm having trouble keeping the temp stable. I have a preset heater in that tank. The temp when he went in was 84 to help with the ick. I had to unplug the heater last night because the temp raised to 88. This morning it's down to 78. It wouldn't be a problem except I need the temp around 84 for ick.

Today I'll look for an adjustable 25 watt heater. I may also try to find something shallow to move him to. He seems ok but I want to make sure he doesn't have trouble getting air.

And since he made it through the night he needs a name! So far I'm thinking Solstice or Garnett.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Getting stronger

I've decided rescue's name is Killian. He is doing so much better. He ate breakfast and dinner and even chased a pellet that fell. He had more energy after breakfast which makes me wonder when they fed him last. I thought he had been overfed due to his water conditions. He has pooped several times. They are normal so internal parasites are out. I'm not seeing any ick on him. I cleaned his entire tank to make sure I got any that had fallen to the floor. I felt horrible cupping him 24 hours after I got him in clean water but we both made it.

His gills are red. Probably ammonia burns. He also has several fin tears. His old plant was probably the culprit. I took great joy throwing the gravel and plant out this morning. I'm not sure what to do with the bowl. What was one do with a fish bowl that is too small to house a living creature? My mom mentioned putting seashells in it and turning it into a decoration.

I picked up a silk plant package from Petco while I waa buying a replacement thermometer for Phil's tank. Now everyone has an extra plant. And I've easily spent the majority of the extra money I had from house sitting on these fish. I had other plans, especially since other expenses have come up. Oh well. Killian still needs an adjustable heater. I think I'll order it tomorrow.

Pics of Killian below!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you, heidispice. The funny thing is I had been thinking about getting another betta the day befor Killian was dropped on my desk. I never thought I'd be prepared for a true rescue but I've proved myself wrong. :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ruby

I got Ruby back in April. Easter to be exact. I say she was an accidental purchase but really I went into Petco hoping a betta would feel right. I had her in a 2 gallon but upgraded her to a 5 gallon the next day. This lucked out for Killian because he is temporarily calling that tank home.

Ruby is my happy, healthy girl. She doesn't have any issues, other than she is super active and I worry about keeping her entertained. She will chase my finger and bite at the glass. She's adorable. And can't figure out why the boys get so much attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I gave you more plants, please stop biting your fins!

Quick update on Phil. In the last week he has gotten 2 new silk plants and a live anubias. Hopefully this will be what he needs to stop biting. His anubias is still looking sad but some very helpful members told me the plant needs to melt to adjust to the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Happy 4th of July!

Happy belated 4th of July! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with friends and family. I went home for the weekend. There was a lot of delicious food and we made sangria. I had a great time.

This trip had been planned weeks ago, before I got Killian. I was worried about leaving him and did consider bringing him with me. But my rational side won out and I left him at home. I figured it would be better for him to be stable but without food for 2 days rather than carted across the state. He seemed fine when I got home. Hungry but fine. His gills are still red from ammonia burns. I ordered meth blue and will give him a bath when it gets here. His tears are healing nicely and he has no signs of ick.

While Killian (the rescue that barely survived) was fine, Phil tried to turn himself into a crowntail (insert so many cuss words). He's always been more prone to biting when he thinks he's going to die of starvation. I'm not happy with him at all. I tried to take a picture of the mess that is his tail but he wouldn't hold still and was camped out on the bottom of his tank. Sigh.

Ruby is lovely as always.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think you've just stumbled onto the reason for tail biting! Maybe in the betta world, crowntails are the 'cool' bettas and the other fish are trying to copy the look! I guess fin biting is better than getting little anchor tattoos.....
There. Mystery solved.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
You're right, mystery solved. Now he needs therapy to help with his self esteem/identity issues.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Apparently a lot of bettas need therapy! Hmmm.....I sense a new, lucrative career as "the fish whisperer"...maybe a TV reality show....a line of spin-off products for bettas....$$$$ . Don't worry, I'll give Phil free samples for inspiring me!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Do it! Phil doesn't know it, but he needs your help.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bubble nest

Phil made his first bubble nest! It's craziness. I know it's not a sign of health or happiness but I was happy to see it after he bit so badly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Killian

Every week the fishies get frozen brine shrimp as a treat. Last night I gave Killian his first treat. He looked at it suspiciously but eventually ate a couple.

This morning he got his first partial water change. I had cupped him before. Since he's in a two gallon the goal is two partial and one full water change every week. Poor baby hid in his cave the entire time. Granted he probably didn't want to get cupped again.

He has improved so much. He's a much stronger swimmer and can chase pellets now. He even found one on the floor I was about to take out. The rips in his tail have healed nicely. His gills still have ammonia burns, but I ordered some meth blue and will give him a bath this weekend when he gets his full water change. I feel like a proud parent every time he does anything, probably because he was so sickly when I brought him home.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Uneventful day

I work in property management as a temp at the moment. Honestly the only good part about it is it allows me to have flexibility to do interviews elsewhere. I have met a lot of great people, and some not so great. Of course I also got Killian from a property I worked at, which is of course a bonus.

Today is a slow day. I'm grateful for the hours but have absolutely nothing to do. Good thing I brought a book.

In fishy news, Phil and Killian's tanks are next to each other on my breakfast bar. There is a white paper between them to reduce flaring. I try to spend a little time with each fish daily. Killian does get a bit more attention as I have been checking him for disease symptoms and the temperature of the water. He still doesn't have an adjustable heater but the temp is holding steady at 78-80.

Back to the point. This morning I fed them then ate my breakfast in front of Phil. He has re-growth so hopefully he leaves it alone. I look over and Killian is wiggling and looking at me like "hello mom, over here." It was adorable.

Tomorrow the big tanks get a partial change and Killian gets a full change. I would love to pick up a 10 gallon for Ruby and give Killian her 5. The 2 gallon maintenance is a lot, but I'm not sure he would do well in a bigger tank. He is much stronger than he was when I brought him home but he seems to have trouble maneuvering. It's also possible his tail weighs him down.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

21 - 40 of 1081 Posts