Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1081 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Why yes, it is still a slow day at work. On another note, I went to Petco during lunch. You know, just to look. Mostly I wanted to check their plants. Note to self, they were a little cheaper than Petsmart. Last January they had a buy one get one plant sale. I'm hoping they do it again during the dollar per gallon sale.

Of course I had to look at the bettas. There were some gorgeous elephant ears and crowntails. Some were so small they could have been babies. The babies they did have were labeled baby boy or girl. A little girl was so small I wondered how they knew she was a female.

I made it out without another betta but spent quite a long time trying to fashion a tank in my head. Even if I could, as I learned with Killian, silk plants and other little necessities add up fast.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Heart attack

Sunday is water change day. I cupped Killian no problem and set him down. After rinsing and refilling his tank, I turned around to put it back on the counter. What do I see? Killian on the counter. The little bugger had jumped. I got him back into his cup, and he seems fine. What a scare though.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I definitely knew better but didn't think he could jump. He's not a strong swimmer. I know better now!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Bo

When I first got back into this hobby, it was with Bo, a blue vt. I got him from Petco last August and was instantly attached to the little guy. Unfortunately I was convinced he was ill. I'm pretty sure I thought it was ammonia poisoning. I hadn't found this forum yet so I made a bad decision and dosed him with one of the fixes (can't remember if it was bettafix, melafix, or pimafix). He got drastically worse in a short time. I cupped him to change his water to remove the medicine and he died.

I hardly ever talk about Bo because it was very upsetting. It was my own fault for not doing better research. But I decided not to give up and got Phil a few weeks later. Which brought me to this site and all of the wonderful people and information. I still regret what happened with Bo but know it was an important lesson in caring for these beautiful fish.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Resting?

Phil gave me quite the scare this morning. He was resting on a plant, the same position he was in when I turned the light off last night. When he saw me he swam over asking where breakfast was. He ate fine and swam around on and off but has always gone back to resting on his leaf. This is quite weird for him. I don't know if he just discovered it or maybe his fins are too long for him and that's why he bites.

I will do a partial water change and keep a close eye on him.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Upgrades

I'm pondering getting a 10 gallon during the $1/gallon Petco sale. It would be an upgrade for Ruby and a few tankmates. I'm thinking about platys but will consider anything suitable for a 10 gallon. Does anyone have any recommendations? Killian would also get an upgrade as he would inherit Ruby's 5 gallon.

I used to have mollies and a small school of tiger barbs in a 29 gallon (I think). Unfortunately I had to give all my fish to my uncle when I moved for the summer to do an internship in Philly. The tank was in storage at my mom's and was discarded along with a 10 gallon when her basement flooded. I'm still a little resentful lol. I really enjoyed having mollies, even though the amount of fry they produced was crazy, and would love to have a couple of angel fish but am not in the market for that large of a tank at the moment. And of course neither of these are compatible with bettas, so that's a consideration.

I'm still doing a lot of thinking on this as even though there is a great sale right now, I shouldn't be spending money on anything except food and bills.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Betta hoarding

I went to Petsmart with innocent intentions. I was going to return the anubias that wasn't doing well and get a silk plant for Phil. Instead I left with a 10 gallon tank and a new vt. I had actully left the store trying to talk myself out of buying him but went back for him. There was another vt that looked like a marble but I talked myself out of purchasing two. I was being hard on myself at first. Does one person really need 4 bettas? I don't think so. But I could not leave him behind. This is the last one, I swear.

It took a bit of rearranging to get everyone set up. I don't quite have a space issue, it was more of a furniture issue. I only have one end table that was sturdy enough to hold the 10 gallon. I will be in the market for a tank stand but for now it works.

Ruby got the 10 gallon. She watched me fill it and seemed quite interested while it filtered for a bit. I cupped her, not an easy feat since she had never been cupped before, and put her in. It took her a minute or so to leave the cup. Now she's zooming all over the place. I moved her filter over to preserve the cycle. I will need a bigger filter though. I also plan on getting her a couple of tankmates. I did look at Petco but their selection was rather poor. I'm leaning towards Platys but we'll see.

The new guy ended up with Ruby's 5 gallon. I know it's a big shock to him to go straight into that large of a tank. Originally I was going to give Killian the 5 gallon and new guy the 2 gallon but at the time it felt easier to not move Killian. I feel like Killian really likes his tank so for now that's where he'll stay.

The new guy was acclimating and got out of his cup. Stupid Petsmart cups have a large hole at the top. Not at all like Petco. He's adjusting well. Seems less afraid then when he was cupped. I have a towel over him to help him adjust. Before and after pics below. He needs a name!

And remember the plant I was supposed to get Phil? I got 2 sets of 3 silk plants at Petco. Phil did not get one. Planting a 10 gallon took a lot of plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Um not yet. His body is a dirty white. At the store his fins were a light green with white on the tips. He's darkened up a little already. I have a feeling he will lose the green and his fins will be dark. He could turn into anything I suppose.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
What a day. I've reached the point where I know for a fact property management is not for me. I took this job because it is with a temporary agency and it would allow me flexibility. It was also supposed to be temporary. That was almost a year ago. Back to the job search.

All is well in the fishy world. The new guy is settling in. He ate breakfast and dinner, although he was more skittish at breakfast. I ate breakfast with him, trying to get him used to me. He sat there looking at me for awhile. He ate dinner no problem so I'm making progress. He's coloring up. He does have some yellow coming in. Still light green fins, which I hope he keeps, but he has a dark line down the middle of his caudel fin.

He still doesn't have a name. I like Bowie but if I shorted it he would he would be Bo, which reminds me of the fish I lost. I also like Copley, after Copley Square in Boston, or Boden.

Ruby had really paled when I moved her last night. Today she's right as rain. Both her and the new guy are glass surfing. It is very unlike Ruby. I hope they both grow out of it.

I'm worried Killian is tail biting. I will lose my mind if he is. I hope it's just the damage from before I got him. His tears have healed nicely.

Phil took a couple more bites out of his fin. I hope when I add some live plants he will stop. Otherwise I have to embrace he likes his tail a certain length.

Today I was also looking into aquarium placement in feng shui. None of my aquariums are placed correctly. Does anyone have any experience with this? My entrance is in the northeast, and I have closets in the north section. Which is where aquariums are supposed to go but I can't put them there. I love having Killian and Phil on the breakfast bar. I never use it so it's vacant counter space. And I get to see them everytime I go into the kitchen. Hmm.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I came so close to buying a few adf for the 10 gallon today. I think I just felt bad for one. He was being picked on by a mollie. I'm still deciding on tankmates for Ruby, so anything could happen. They do make me a little quesy though.

I went on a minor Dr. Foster and Smith shopping spree. Two adjustable heaters, a whisper filter, a glass canopy for the 10 gallon and a sponge filter. The grand total was $58. Not too bad considering the sale and free shipping, and much cheaper than the options at Petsmart or Petco. I'll be excited when everything arrives!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Another biter

Today I moved Phil and Killian to other parts of the apartment. I was doing a feng shui renovation. I miss having the boys on the breakfast bar. It looks empty. I have a studio, so it's not like they went far lol. I still need a couple tank stands. It would be nice to put Ruby and the new guy on one and have Killian on my desk. Currently Killian and the new guy are on the desk.

Speaking of Killian, he is biting. I'm still a little in shock. I feel it is more about boredom than anything else. I picked up a couple more silk plants and did a rearrange of the plants in 3 tanks. Killian got two new plants and I put in a couple of those blue glass stones from the dollar store. Hopefully this will keep him occupied for awhile. I looked at decorations at Petco but I'm so leary of anything with paint on it. I'll go surf the diy thread for some inspiration.

The good news in all of this is Phil got two new plants. I hope this helps him with his biting.

I didn't think moving the tanks would be a big deal to the boys. Phil looked a little irritated like "human did I give you permission to move me?" Killian looked unhappy. He's not as close to me when I'm sitting at the desk as when I used to pass by him. Hopefully they adjust. I'm fully prepared for Phil biting tonight. He does not like change.

The new guy is doing great! He looks yellow in the light. If he turns more yellow this may throw off my current feng shui arrangement. I switched out his plant. He seems to like it. I think I'll have to change things often for him and Ruby. They are my most curious fish.

Pics below! I'm hoping they come out straight this time. Hate they are always sideways when I post from my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Admission

I have to admit something. My two impulse purchases (Ruby and the new guy) weren't really impulse purchases. I went in knowing I was looking for a betta, even if I wasn't prepared to buy. I seriously debated between Ruby and one of the red vt girls I knew didn't have much of a chance at Petco. Nothing was really wrong with her healthwise, she was just plain and I knew she'd be there for awhile. But I couldn't pass Ruby up. Her colors were too unique.

With the new guy, I was looking but trying to talk myself out of it. I even left, went grocery shopping where I plotted what I would have to do to make it work, and went back. I couldn't leave him there.

Phew, glad that's off my chest. :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I ended up canceling my Drs. Smith and Foster order. After I placed it, I found out the filter I ordered for Ruby's tank was not that great. I tried to have them switch it out for something better but they wouldn't do it. I also found out the heaters I ordered were 50 watt, not 25. 50 would work just fine in the 5 gallon but not for Killian's two gallon. Plus after 4 days it hadn't shipped and I was getting impatient. I have two tanks with no heaters at the moment. They do fine (I've never seen it be less than 78 in the morning) but lately the problem has been the heat has been waking me up in the middle of the night. Two tanks are rather close to the ac, so I don't want to run it when they don't have heaters. The heat really doesn't bother me in the evening, but clearly it's a problem at night.

So I went to Amazon and purchased two heaters and two sponge filters for $41. I signed up for Prime to get free two day shipping, then immediately canceled it to get a refund. I'm really looking forward to getting the ac back on come Tuesday night.

Killian looks like he bit a little more. I rearranged the plants in his tank. He didn't like it, so I moved everything back. He seemed entertained this morning when I put a picture next to his tank. I also moved the moss ball from Ruby's tank into his. He didn't seem to notice. I'm supposed to go pick up a 3 gallon from someone on Craigslist tomorrow. She's selling it for $10. I'm not too happy about having to drive across town at 7 pm on a Sunday. We'll see what happens. It may fall through, or I may decide last minute I don't want to drive out there.

When I moved the moss ball this morning, I forgot to put the saran wrap back on Ruby's tank. I realized it when I got to work. Thankfully when I went home for lunch she was fine. Unfortunately, I put a hold on getting her a glass canopy since I canceled the Drs. Foster and Smith order. Maybe next month I can get it for her.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Lethargy

Phil gave me quite a scare. I did a partial water change this morning as I do every Sunday. When I got home a couple hours ago he was laying at the bottom clamped up and not moving. I was sure he was gone. I turned the light on and went to grab the net to scoop him up. He turned around and swam a little. I did another partial water change just in case. He perked up a bit.

The only thing I can think of is sbd, even though he poops fairly regularly. There was even poop when I got home so he went after I cleaned the tank this morning.

He's had off and on problems with lethargy since I had that anubias. After I removed it and did a water change he acted more normal. I made a post in the disease section in case there's something I'm missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well somebody (Phil) is super stressed for some reason. He is still clamped and sticking to the bottom of the tank. He is also doing some major damage to his fins. I went home for lunch and sucked up all the gunk at the bottom of the tank. It is probably leftover fin. I did a partial water change and gave his moss ball and the carbon packet a squeeze in old tank water. As I was about to leave, I caught him chasing his tail. WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? I put a dark towel over his tank to hopefully calm him down.

Possible causes of Phil's latest freakout are: upset about change in tank (new plants), upset about change in tank location, or tank water quality.

The only thing I can think of is his filter media needs to be changed but it will take a couple weeks for the bacteria to transfer. I will do partial water changes daily.

I should also mention I'm extremely stressed out today. More so than usual. This is not something I need. I can deal with him biting but this is extreme.

In happier news, I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to return some things. I ended up with $15 on a store gift card. I was browsing the fish section getting new filter media and looking at tanks since I'm still in the market for a new tank for Killian. They had a bunch of kits for around $30. I saw an empty 3 gallon halfmoon tank sitting out. Not in a box, no price tag, nothing. So I finally decide to take it to the register and find out what happens. The cashier started looking through a book and I said I was thinking $10. She asked me if I would do $11. Done! The people behind me started making jokes. She said she had to do $11 because she felt it was more of a $19 item. I nicely told her since it wasn't part of a kit, it wasn't as valuable. Regardless, I picked up a new tank for $11 and didn't have to drive across town to get one off Craigslist.

This tank has Killlian's name written on it. I do feel like I should be responsible and use this tank as a qt when I get a couple platys in a couple weeks. But then we're talking a month before Killian can be moved. Possibly more if they have fry before I can get them into the 10 gallon with a breeder net.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Killian thanks you for that wonderful suggestion. A bigger tank means I need more plants. I swear, I should have bought stock in silk plants. I'm excited to get him set up tomorrow. I'll have the heaters and sponge filters as well.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
P.S. New guy has now been named Liam. It was down to Brewer or Liam and mom and sister picked Liam.

41 - 60 of 1081 Posts