Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tap water in our city is absolute garbage and tests kinda high for ammonia. I was worried that this may affect my fish, and went down to the local pet store to see what products they had for removing ammonia out of tap water. I started talking to one of the employees there and she had suggested that I put duckweed in the tank. She said that it's great for eating up ammonia, but also nitrite and nitrate. She suggested that I get a bag of aquarium bacteria just to make sure that my fish and snails stay healthy. I put both of those things into my tank. The bacteria is settling and making everything look a little fuzzy, but I'm sure that's what it's supposed to do. And my fish has been poking around the duckweed.
Does anyone else use these products? If so, what has been your experience?

I did not have my tank nitrogen cycle set up before i put my fish in, because i was unaware at the time that it was even a thing.. (i bought my betta on impulse and had NOTHING thought through...) Lol.
I'm just hoping that these things will help to keep my water quality for the fish good and healthy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
for the tank to cycle, you need a filter, do you have one?

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
Think long and hard about putting duckweed in your tank, because, once you have duckweed, you will in most likelihood always have duckweed. They're great for sucking up excess nutrients, but can be a nuisance.

The best option for now, get a nice bottle of Prime (it detoxifies ammonia for a short period) and start cycling your tank, it'll go a really long way towards the health of your little one. Then you decide what plants you really want in the tank.

BTW, how high does your tap water test for ammonia?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
I agree with Veloran, duckweed is great for eating ammonia, but is a pain to have in the tank after a while, and it sticks to your hands and arms when you do tank work. There are other floating plants which do a good job: Anacharis, Water lettuce, Water sprite, Wisteria and others.

But Prime (by Seachem) is what you want to immediately detoxify ammonia.

Any aquarium bacteria that comes in a bag is not going to help you cycle your tank. I think you should take it back. See if you can exchange it for a bottle of Tetra Safestart. THAT will help you start your nitrogen cycle. CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

If this is your first fish, you might find this useful. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/betta-basics-introduction-bettafish-care-232570/

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already dumped the bag of bacteria into the water :( Hopefully it'll clear out within a few weeks.. I don't have a filter on the tank yet. I did have one, but it was too strong and the fish hated it. I'm going to get it a different filter soon. I also didn't think it was necessary to have a filter on a betta tank even for cycling.
My tap water tests about 1.0ppm. The lady at the pet store said it wasn't that high, but online i've been reading that it shouldn't get past .25ppm... And because the ammonia was high, i was doing 50% water changes every other day. She said that the reason my tank wasn't cycling was because I was removing too much of the bacteria when I was doing my water changes and after I but in the bag of aquarium bacteria, I should let the tank sit for at least a week before doing anymore water changes.
My fish seems like he's doing fine now. Last night he was looking really bloated, but I found out that he was eating the piece of algae wafer that broke off when I was feeding my snails. I decided that I'm not going to feed him today to try to clear his system. Or her.. I don't know yet. lol.
I don't know. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I'm also having a lot of fun learning all of this stuff.

·
Registered
604 Posts
a filter is a must. bacteria grow on the filter cartridge and the current keeps it oxygenated.
you can tell us what kind of filter you have and we can tell you if we can baffle it

((on a side note, i had duckweed and i somehow managed to kill every single one.))

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
The petstore lady has misinformed you on several points.

--1.0ppm ammonia is dangerously high. Constant exposure to that level of ammonia is deadly. Ammonia at 0.0ppm is the only acceptable level. You can only achieve this in a cycle tank, or a heavily planted tank. Dose Prime @ 2-drops/gal daily to keep the ammonia detoxified. Refer to the cycling tutorial. There are other cycling stickies at the top of this section.

-- to let an uncycled tank run for a week without water changes is not good advice unless the tank is >5g and the sourcewater has 0.0ppm ammonia.

-- there is very little bacteria in the water column. Changing water -- even major changes -- has little or no effect on the cycle.

-- to cycle a tank, a filter is not absolutely necessary, but circulation and aeration is. The best way to get that is by running a filter. Sponge filters are gentle and quiet, great for Betta tanks.
Sponge Filter tutorial

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
Remove as much of that Duckweed as you can if you get another filter or baffle the one you have. I just killed two filters when the Duckweed managed to find its way into their impellers.

The only way to get rid of it completely once it takes over, IME, is to do a three-week blackout with only an hour a day of light. Kills it dead.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
it should be the normal duckweed, its just never "flourished" for me, sure it grows, but its never been bad enough to need to thin out, it just maintains its amount I suppose lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts