Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought two female bettas yesterday, along with a 1.77 gallon tank.
The selection for females was pretty bland, so I picked a black with red tint and black with blue tint, and named them Peeps and Beeps respectively.

What I didn't seem to notice at the pet store was that Peeps fins look all ripped. I was concerned at first this might be sickness, but I also noticed Beeps constantly picking on her. So I thought maybe Peeps is merely a bully victim. Other than that though, they both act rather normal at the moment.

The tank came with a small fake plant and gravel, which is all that's in the tank right now, since I didn't bring enough money with me last night to get supplies. (I miscalculated since I had been looking at tanks in the US while I was visiting there, and forgot how much more ridiculously expensive everything is here in Canada : (. ) So I'll be going back out tonight to get their supplies and such.

So I was wondering...
Once I get them both their little hiding dens, will Beeps stop picking on Peeps as much?
Would maybe a third tank friend help as well?
Or is Peeps probably sick and needs to be placed in quarantine?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Do you have the tank divided? If not, I would take out a female right away. If you plan on keeping them both in there you need to get at least a 10G tank and 2 or 3 more females with LOTS of hiding places. They will attack each other in that small of a tank. It's recommended that you should have at least 4 females in a sorority because if you have 3, 2 of them could gang up on the other one. Do you have a big bowl or vase? I'd put a female in that until you can get a bigger tank and divide it, or get a 10G. For the ripped fins, you can give her salt baths that will help heal them.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)...Oh boy....seems like your in quite a situation there :/

+1 To BFCs advice. And to add on(and perhaps repeat some stuff...)

First off, your going to need to separate those two ASAP. Not only is that tank far too small for anything other then a single betta(male or female, and even then I personally would advise an upgrade to 2.5 gallons or larger for many reasons)but female bettas can NOT be kept in pairs. With only two females together(ESPECIALLY in such a small space)one WILL kill the other. With three females, two will gang up on the weakest, kill her, then the stronger of the two will eventually end up killing the other. If you REALLY want to keep females together, your going to have to look at getting a 10+ gallon tank, at LEAST two more girls(5-6 is better, however, so aggression can to be spread out), and a LOT of plants(live or silk)along with several caves for hiding. Here is a good article on betta sororities: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

If you don't want to upgrade to a ten gallon, get more girls, and all that then your going to have to separate them ASAP. What you can do right now is put one in the cup she came in and float her in the water until you go out and get another tank for her. I suggest picking up a pair of 2.5 gallon tanks(Medium Critter keepers are always nice if your short on money)with heaters, as bettas are tropical fish that require temps of 78-82 degrees F. Another option is a 5 gallon, which you can divide for the two of them. Just be sure the divider is secure so they can't get to one another!
Hope this helps some :)

·
Banned
578 Posts
I agree with the above advice! Females can be kept together but only in groups of at least 5. And in nothing smaller then a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh, well this is irritating...
The lady at the store said they were having a 'two for one' sale, and asked if I wanted two, so I asked "well, will they get a long then? Like, they won't have any issues with each other?" To which she said "Nope they get a long".
So I'm pretty pissed considering I only wanted one in the first place, and only got two cause I thought it would be like a free friend for her.
And I would have gotten a bigger tank, but again, they're way more expensive here. I saw a $99 tank in the states that here is $179, which right now is way too much; but in time, a bigger one will be in order.
Luckily though I think I know where I can get a cheap 1.5 gallon fish bowl.
That should be good enough for now.. Until then, it's the jar for Beeps.

Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Beeps is really pissed off at me now..

She even gave me the look of death..

Peeps is happy though.. : )

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yes, unfortunately 99% of the time you can't trust a thing pet store employees say....they're in it to make cash, not for the wellbeing of the fish. Thats why this hobby can be just as frustrating as it is enjoyable at times.....

On another note, you have such cute little girls :) I'm especially loving the color on Beeps. Yes, until you can get proper, heated homes of your gals the 1.5 gallons should be just fine as temp housing ;) Just be sure to keep them in a warm room(preferably one that says somewhere in the upper 70s)and keep up with the water changes(ever other day should be good). Thats especially importing for the one with the ripped fins, you'll need to keep her water as clean as possible to promote regrowth and prevent infection. Also, if you can, pick up some aquarium salt(it shouldn't be too expensive). That should also help with fin regrowth and preventing infections.

and something else...Have you looked into 'Kritter Keepers'? They're fairly inexpensive($10 roughly down here in the states). Like I mentioned in my other post, the medium size is about 2.5 gallons, they can be safely heated, have a nice little lid with an opening for feeding, are light and easy to carry for water changes, and are very space efficient :) Poke around and see if you have them in your area, I can't imagine the price would be too horribly expensive if their own $10 down here ;)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
They're both adorable! You shouldn't believe anything that the employees tell you because they are usually wrong. It's sad because they should be well educated, but that isn't the case. That's why researching things on your own is the way to go. Don't worry about it, everyone makes mistakes and you had no idea. But now you do so you can make your girls happy. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily I have found a solution!
Walmart had a 5 gallon tank for 34 dollars, and I also got a water heater all for Peeps. I decided to give Beeps to my sister, since I not only bonded a lot with Peeps, but she also has special needs that I can now provide best.
My sisters room is plenty warm, so I think Beeps will be happy with her, she's good at keeping needs met for critters.
I intended to get salts last night but completely forgot. So I'll see if my mom will brave taking me again, considering I had her out for about 3 hours last night going to 3 different locations trying to get these fish squared away.

Also, Peeps doesn't like flakes that much, but the flakes have little freeze dried worms or brine shrimp that she LOVES. Can I just buy those and use them as a staple? Or does she need the flakes.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Ahh, thats wonderful! :D Good to know things are going well! :)

I'm in agreement with DQ, your staple should consist of a good pellet such as Hikari betta bio gold, Wardleys, or I personally use HBH betta bites. OR you can get all three and switch it up for a variety ;) Flakes are OK for a little variety as well on occasion, but you definitely need a pellet for your staple. Anything freeze-dried should be fed sparingly and once or twice weekly as a treat. They should also be re-hydrated before feeding to prevent bloating issues. Personally, I think theres a bit to much risk in feeding freeze-dried because it can cause bloating so easily(which can lead to swimbladder problems)and I've read conflicting opinions on the amount of nutrition it really contains.....so I stay away from it and stick with frozen. Though many will say that its just fine and they've had no problems with freeze-dried....so its up to you to decide if you want to feed it or not ;)

Also, don't forget to fast her once a week! Its good for their digestive system ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eh, I bought pellets for my very first (and very missed) female betta, Meeps.
But she couldn't eat them cause they were about as big as her face. So I tried breaking them into smaller fragments, but to no avail.
I even had to crush up her flakes so that she wouldn't spit them out cause they were too big, but at least those she ate. I'll try crushing these flakes up more cause the only ones they didn't eat were the big chunks; but then they'd go and swallow a whole worm/shrimp chunk all at once. So I dunno.. :-?
Picky picky picky...

Also:
I've heard people say that freeze dried is the best cause it ensures that 100% of bacteria is killed. Some say that even frozen can have SOME bacteria and make fish sick. It's probably variable depending on the fish. Like if it's immune system is weakened for any reason you should stay away from frozen and use freeze dried. But I'll be careful and keep a close eye on her, and I'll use them mainly as treats and rewards; and I'll stick with freeze dried but I'll try soaking them like you said.. Poor Peeps doesn't need any more ailments. : (
I'll give her time to settle and get strong and healthy before trying any frozen food.

Which brings me to my next question/concern..
Peeps has three tiny white specks on her right fin, which at first I thought were tiny bubbles that just stuck to her cause she's been playing with them and they seemed to shine under the light, but they haven't gone away. She also keeps spazzing out now and then when she goes to the left wall of the tank and swims into the glass and gets all striped and pale like she was in the temporary holding bowl. And she always goes back to normal when I distract her with something, or when she plays with bubbles, or goes into her skull ornament. I only express concern cause she didn't do that in the first tank she was in.. Is it just cause it's such a big space for her all at once?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Pellets are very important for a staple, they have all sorts of nutrients and good stuff in them. If she won't eat one brand, try another. Crushing them up is a good idea if they're larger, or even soaking them would be good...even though it gets bigger when you soak it, she could pick it apart easier. From what I've been told, flakes aren't a good staple because they contain a lot of plant matter and Bettas are carnivores....so its not so good for their digestive system. Se if you can snag a couple different pellet brands when you go out next to try ;)

Hikari brand frozen food is the best, very well sterilized and safe. I've never once had any issues with my frozen food. What you need to watch out for is the live food, thats where the real danger of parasites and such are. Though, again, its up to your preference as there is a lot of conflicting info out there.....though I will always advise frozen over freeze-dried. But yes, definitely soak the freeze-dried before feeding....10-15 minutes in a little cup of tank water should e good :)

I'm afraid I'm not so good with diseases.....that a whole lot of experience in that field. Though a picture would help greatly, its difficult to say what it might be without one.
As for the swimming.....does it happen when your over on that side of the tank? She may just see you...as for the stress stripes, I'm not sure on that one. My girls are funky and show stripes at the most random times, I'll never figure them out. :lol: If she just does it at random when your not on that side of the tank, then she might see her reflection, or something next to the tank shes trying to get at....just be sure to provide lots of plants and a cave or two in the new tank so she doesn't feel exposed :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, everything has been looking up for ol Peeps, except those white dots which are looking worse, and now there's one on her face.
Unfortunately all I have to take pictures with is a web cam which won't pick them up.
I put salt in her tank, and she reacted positively to it, so that was a relief, but the spots aren't being hindered by it in any way.
If they start to spread more should I put some kind of medicine in with the salt?
If so, what kind..

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Hmm....could you describe the white dots? Does it look like shes been sprinkled with salt? Or are they larger? Are they raised off her body? Fuzzy looking? It could be a number of things, if you could describe it a little more, that would be helpful :) I'll do what I can to help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They aren't fuzzy, but they do look raised a little; like tiny little bubbles. I guess you could say they look like grains of salt, size wise. I'm not sure if you're meaning salt had anything to do with it, cause I noticed them long before the salt, also I did dissolve it first in a cup of her water.
I noticed though that she has been turning on her side, and tries to rub up against her ornaments; as if to try and scratch an itch.
The side she tries to scratch is the one with the three dots on the fin.
Also they're all the same size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts