Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ... While cleaning my betta's tank, I put him in a smaller "holding" tank so I can take my time and do a good job cleaning his home. While transferring him back, he jumped out of the net before I could place my hand over it and landed on the table. While I panicked (I'm not ideal in dire situations), my level-headed boyfriend scooped him in the net and placed him into the tank but not without tearing his fins. His caudal fin is completely torn in two and he has a few pin holes. I know this is common and he's still alive, but he's having a hard time swimming. So I put him back in the smaller tank without plants or water current for his own good (he was bumping into EVERYTHING and I'm overly concerned) and I added Bettafix to the water. Are there any other things I could do to help him heal? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Keep his tank dark for him to calm down and keep his water extra clean on top of feeding him a high protein diet.

I don't suggest using bettafix because there is an ingredient that can be potentially harmful to a betta (stupid marketing, I know).

If you can get stress coat, that will help him more by encouraging his body to regenerate his fins faster.

If a rot appears (black edges or red streaks on his fins) use 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt before jumping to medication. Use this for a max of 10 days, and if you don't see improvement within 5 days of this treatment, up the dose to 2 tsp/gal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts