Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Seemingly overnight (or over the course of a day as he looked fine in the morning and ate voraciously) my blue VT Pavlov developed a bloated abdoman and started pineconing. My heart sank, as doubtlessly every person on this site knows what dropsy is and what it ultimately means.
HOWEVER, he was still motile and putting around his tank, including being able to swim down and up to suit his fancy.
He's a fighter. I've got him started on a round of API General Cure and have a low dose of Epsom salt in his tank. (about a teaspoon for a 3 gallon tank) A good friend of mine sent me a thread she found on this forum about using this method to treat the early stages of the symptom Dropsy, though I ultimately don't know what's wrong with my baby.
Praying he's still alive when I return after classes.
My one big question is this: if he does make it, and still shows symptoms after the round of General Cure is up (I'm following the WC schedule for the medication as that way it hopefully works at its best) how long should I wait before a second round?
Any help would be most welcome.
He made it through the night ok, and I haven't been back to my room since this morning. If you like, I'll keep you all updated. This was him when I first noticed the pineconing:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
dropsy is a sign of organ failure do to bacterial infection. General Cure will not help because it treats parasite. What you want to get is Seachem Kanaplex.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After doing a fair bit of research on Dropsy, several sources stated that it could be a number of things, including a symptom of a parasitic infection (which he used to have when I first got him.) Also, according to another thread on this forum, General Cure has worked in the past. I'm making a run to my LFS today with some friends and I can see if they've got Kanaplex, but he's actually still kickin' with the treatment I've got going. Also, I'm not comfortable with switching treatments so drastically. Thanks for the advice though.
He's a determined little bugger... just when I thought it was time to euthanize he blew a bubble and wiggled about as if to say 'no mom, not yet!'

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hannat, I'm currently battling a very similar case. My crown tail, Gilbert, has been bloated for a bit and I'm beginning to believe it is dropsy, no pine coning yet but I can start to see where that might begin to happen. I was recommended Metro + and epsom salts to treat him and so far he is still very perky. He still darts around and eats and with the treatment that I began he is starting to poop brown again, although it is still stringy. If anything specific works a miracle I will let you know! Prayers for your precious fish!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with Gilbert, and thanks for the prayers! It's an awful thing, and Pav's has progressed so horribly over the last 12 hours alone. He went from breathing calmly this morning to having completely clouded eyes and gasping for breath tonight. I'm strongly considering euthanizing him.
Let me know how Gilbert does! Hoping for the best for you!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up putting down Pav. He's still fighting the clove oil, tough little guy, and I'm crying like a baby. Once his eyes clouded I lost hope to be honest. He's such a fighter though... as soon as he was down I put a TON of oil in and he's still a twitchin'. I truly hope Gilbert pulls through!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If my professor lets me, I'm planning on necropsying him. I'll have to freeze him for now because I don't have formaldehyde. Sorry to sound morbid but I MUST know what caused this, especially before putting another fish in that tank. I'm about to begin working on a research project involving Zebra fish with him, so I think he'll be ok with it (at least I hope so).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's an awful thing to go through. I'm still holding onto hope as Gilbert seems to be remaining the same at the moment. I'm very interested to see what the necropsy turns up. Let me know if you would like! I'm so sorry about Pav, what a brave little fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts