Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is beach glass safe for aquariums? How to you dis-infect it?

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
As long as it is not porous!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I would think putting it in boiling water for a few seconds and then rinsing with vinegar would get it pretty darn clean. Also I'm jealous. I'm guessing you've found enough to put in a tank?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think putting it in boiling water for a few seconds and then rinsing with vinegar would get it pretty darn clean. Also I'm jealous. I'm guessing you've found enough to put in a tank?
Thanks. :) I wish I had enough to fit a tank. lol I wanted to start collecting it and maybe one day have it in a tank.

aokashi is right. You can find it on the beach about a few feet away from the water.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
i have some artificial sea glass in some of my tanks. :V stuff directly from the beach, i personally wouldn't. x: but i'm paranoid anyways, so...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually, true beach glass is the result of lightening striking the sand on the beach. It fuses the grains together from the intense heat into very uneven glass.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Actually, true beach glass is the result of lightening striking the sand on the beach. It fuses the grains together from the intense heat into very uneven glass.
thats like music to my meteorologist ears :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally don't think much of anything would leach out of the glass, it is pretty inert. Even if there were traces of salt in the glass, I can't imagine there would be enough to cause issues, especially with as many water changes as we do...

The glass formed by lightning strikes is called fulgurite...it isn't very pretty though lol. You can google it to see pictures. The sea glass most people talk about is from pieces of bottles and other glass objects getting tossed about and worn down in the ocean over a period of years...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I guess I am just very picky and play safe for what to put in my tank lol.

I really do like the look of the glass though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm probably going to do the same, once I get some sand to put in my tank.

Here's what it looks like (from my collection)
120516-152953.jpg

120516-153014.jpg

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be afraid of it leeching salt into the water...
There is no salt in the glass - it's on the beach of freshwater.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts