Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Micro pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, one shake of the container

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Recently was away so this latest one was 2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 70%
What is the source of your water? Lake/river
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime water conditioner and nutrafin cycle

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0-0.25 (cannot tell)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm (have never gotten a good reading with this test)
pH: 8.2
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? White wrapped around a few of the tips of his fins (a little higher up)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Still his happy, active self
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? October 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
Someone else will, I am sure, have a better answer but when mine have beginning fin issues I use either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea.

I tried enlarging the area of concern and can see what looks to be white growths.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone else will, I am sure, have a better answer but when mine have beginning fin issues I use either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea.

I tried enlarging the area of concern and can see what looks to be white growths.
Yes they look exactly like white growths wrapping around each section of fin. It's really weird. I will try the plain Rooibos tea. I have some Indian almond bark but I don't think I'll get as good of an extract out of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Just an update: he seems a little more active today with the Rooibos tea extract. Hoping that whatever is growing will go away. It hasn't gotten any worse.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My boy still looks the same. Is this a waiting game or should I be doing more for him? He made a bubble nest after I put the tea in and seems happy??

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
You could try some aquarium salt. 1 tbsp per gallon, dissolve before adding to the tank. Leave in for no more than 10 days. When you do water changes, only replace the salt you remove. Unfortunately in Canada, salt and IAL are usually the best we can do as meds are banned here. I occasionally get some off eBay to have on hand but they take a long time to get here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could try some aquarium salt. 1 tbsp per gallon, dissolve before adding to the tank. Leave in for no more than 10 days. When you do water changes, only replace the salt you remove. Unfortunately in Canada, salt and IAL are usually the best we can do as meds are banned here. I occasionally get some off eBay to have on hand but they take a long time to get here.
I had meds on order from eBay when my last fish died. So I do have some. The Kanaplex. But I'd rather not use it unless absolutely necessary. I'll keep watch and see how he's doing. Thank you!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree that you should hold off on meds but also agree with @BettaloverSara that this might be a good case for which to use salt. I also agree that the recommended dose is 1 Tbsp per gallon but I'd spread that out over three doses: 1 teaspoon per gallon 12 hours apart--which will bring you to 1 Tablespoon per gallon total. This will ease him into it. I have found this to be a very effective treatment for a host of betta issues,.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that you should hold off on meds but also agree with @BettaloverSara that this might be a good case for which to use salt. I also agree that the recommended dose is 1 Tbsp per gallon but I'd spread that out over three doses: 1 teaspoon per gallon 12 hours apart--which will bring you to 1 Tablespoon per gallon total. This will ease him into it. I have found this to be a very effective treatment for a host of betta issues,.
Thank you very much. I will start that now 😊

·
Registered
347 Posts
And remember to dissolve the salt in a cup or so of aquarium water for each of the three doses before adding to the tank.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello! So 5 days into the aquarium salt and I'm not seeing a change. It's not getting worse but it's not getting better either. Thoughts?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would ride out the 10 days. Maintain your water change regimen and remember to replace the amount of salt you remove with each water change. For example, if you do a 25% change, replace 25% of the original dose of salt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts