Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang it's Waylander again after a rather long hiatus. I recently purchased a 6.6 gallon aquarium<Picture included> and I was curious if anyone had any planting suggestions? I've got two silk plants in it presently because it killed me to see it bare but I'm really looking to try my hand with live plants, preferably something easy to maintain and hardy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Heard that Java fern is pretty easy to take care of!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have that same tank! I bought a nice big piece of Malaysian driftwood for it, and it's planted with a bunch of plants and some floating frogbit and duckweed. Only thing is the bulb came broken on mine so I had to switch it out. I currently have it severely overstocked with Dwarf Gouramis because I seemed advice from a petco employee... I should have known better lol.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I am so jealous of that tank! I love it.

I would get some java fern on Malaysian driftwood, anubias attached to a terracotta pot, java moss for a carpet plant, and lacefern, hornwort and anacharis as stem plants. They are all very basic, hard to kill plants. :) If you want a floating plant, duckweed is pretty much impossible to kill.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
None of the plants I have mentioned need a soil-based tank. All will do well in normal gravel, especially as three of them (java fern, java moss and anubias) don't need to be rooted. The rest are water column feeders, not root feeders, so they don't need a nutrient-rich substrate.

As for how long a plant could survive in a bag, it depends on the plant. Hardy things like java moss will live forever in a bag. Stem plants won't live as long.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Looks good :) I like the pennywort a lot

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The java fern should do well so long as the anacharis shades it how I intend, I am using fertz and have been told these feed from the water column and are very hardy. Time will tell however!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts