Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!

I'm upgrading my betta to a 10 gallon tank this summer, and I'm really interested in getting a live plant or two. I've never kept plants before, but I've read that they can suck up excess ammonia, CO2, and nitrates from the water and make a healthier environment for my fish.

What plants would be best for me to get, while having a 10 gallon kit (so only the light bulb that comes with the kit, not very high wattage) and little maintenance? I'd be willing to put something in the water if I need to.

Also, the only store I could go to for aquarium plants is Petco... so I think I'm limited to whatever is there...

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am a beginner fish person as well and I recently started my first planted tank!

I used Carib Sea Tahitian Moon Sand as my substrate and got low-med light plants. Right now I have a moss ball, a banana plant, and some stem plants (no idea what they're called -- suggested by the fish specialty store). They are all thriving under my fluorescent day light.

I highly suggest a moss ball or a banana plant! They are very easy to care for :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Moss balls, banana plants, java ferns, pennywort and moneywort, ludwigia, java moss, and anubias are all great plants for beginners. Pennywort, moneywort, and ludwigia will need a bit more light than the rest, but all can do pretty well in low-medium light conditions.

The best way to find plants you like is to go on a website with plant profiles and just read through all of them. Write down the names of the ones you like that are low-maintenance, then plant out which ones you actually want to get.

And remember that even though petco has plants, there is always Aquabid and online shopping to get the rarer ones.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe Top Fin sells packages of plants at most Petsmrt/Petcos. They are labeled what type of light they need I think. I tend to get low light plants like crypts and I've got a couple marimo. I've had few issues with the packaged plants. I've also got plants from my LFS and from online without issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have java fern, hornwort and something else long and spider-plant-looking, and they all do fine. I have a very pathetic light. Yay plants! Have fun with them!
Also, get driftwood if you get java fern. It needs to be tied to driftwood and not planted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!! From what I've been reading, java fern is the easiest plant to both come by and care for. I think I'm going to pick up a couple of those for Houdini's new tank!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fantastic! Glad to help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.