Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so yeah my grandma really likes my bettas and wants to get one but she hasn't had experience for like 20 years. Are there any beginner packs I can look for? She wants something under 4 gallons and some supplies. Any ideas? Oh and don't worry, I always visit her so I'll help her if her new betta gets sick.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Unfortunately, there are no good packs, only the horrible 1/2 gallons. :p You'd have to sort of assemble one that actually fits a betta's needs.

she might want a 2 gallon tank. I know the sell most stores ones that look like mini ten gallons- glass with black rims, and they're nice :) Also, kritter keepers (medium sized) are about 2.5 gallons, and about 13 dollars. There are acrylic ones, but they can be expensive...

she'd need a heater (5 watts per gallon, though it is okay with the adjustable ones to go over a bit), dechlorinator (Prime works wonders -only 2 drops per gallon), food (Omega One betta buffet pellets are great quality and the perfect size), and of course a fish :D

Decor and gravel would be up to her (just make sure any plastic plants or caves have no sharp edges- if necessary, run a pair of pantyhose over them. If they snag or rip, so would a betta's tail).

Water changewise, make sure she knows in a 2 gallon to change the water twice a week (one 50% and one 100% ).

In anything under a 4 gallon, also, no other tank mates would be advised.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would look on Kijiji, or Craigs list :)

I just got a 5 gal, Fluval Chi with LOADS of accessories for Betta's and other tropical fish for 30$... retail value the tank plus supplies would have been over 120$ :shock: It came with the entire Fluval Chi setup, a bamboo plant (fake) a hidey cave, black gravel (enough for 2, 5 gal tanks), water conditioner, water cycle, water EVERYTHING haha, not to mention a scrubby brush and loads of food.

·
Registered
429 Posts

I just got a 5 gal, Fluval Chi with LOADS of accessories for Betta's and other tropical fish for 30$... retail value the tank plus supplies would have been over 120$ :shock: It came with the entire Fluval Chi setup, a bamboo plant (fake) a hidey cave, black gravel (enough for 2, 5 gal tanks), water conditioner, water cycle, water EVERYTHING haha, not to mention a scrubby brush and loads of food.
Wow! That's one hell of a deal! Lucky you!

As the first response to the message said, you'll probably have to assemble the kit yourself. I bought a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper(10$ on sale), a RedSea nano filter(20$), a heater(10$ on sale), thermometer (3$). So overall with the gravel (I already had enough decorations at home) it came to about 45$... And then you're sure to have the right kit because you made it yourself.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Now if I can either find a marble or pure red betta. Lol I can already imagine him swimming all happily building a bubblenest which my grandma will have NO idea what it is until I tell her. >U>

·
Registered
869 Posts

Dang, nice find.

/jealous

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks! Now if I can either find a marble or pure red betta. Lol I can already imagine him swimming all happily building a bubblenest which my grandma will have NO idea what it is until I tell her. >U>
It is so cute that your Grandma is getting a betta! I wish her the best of luck with her little buddy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts