Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Looking for some recommendations for automatic feeders.

I have my doubletail halfmoon in a cycled 23L tank, and will be going overseas for 3 weeks. Both my partner's (and my) family live interstate, and I'm not comfortable giving our key to anyone.

Long story short, will hire a professional aquarium sitter to do weekly 25% water changes, but at $25 a day I don't want to have to have them come for feeding as well.

So far have looked at the F14 fish mate (mixed reviews and apparently Atison's betta pro/hikari pellets will be too small to dispense), the bettamatic (mixed reviews again but seems too unreliable). The eheim will obviously dump too much food.

Any suggestions or recommendations welcome! Thanks!

This is his home:
http://postimg.org/image/6xd1elmlz/

This is him if anyone would like to see! Champion show winner :D the video is a little old now, from when he was listed for auction (but he is still just as feisty!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVAbmEP0Ls

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Betta can go at least a week without food, so you might be able to get away with the fish sitter feeding them on the days they are there if you can't find an adequate auto feeder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay; what is wrong with automatic feeders? Reason I ask; is that I presently use one when ever I go out of town for extended periods of time. So far, no problems!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a couple of friends who are professional aquarists and they have told me horror stories about auto feeders malfunctioning --dumping food with crazy ammonia spikes as a result. You seem to have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got back from a 2 week holiday. I have two tanks; one was serviced via a automatic feeder; twice a day; 12 hours apart. The other; I had my neighbour come over once a day and feed. When; I got back; first thing I did was test the water. Both tanks tested perfect.
I tested my feeder before I tried it. I filled it; and placed it on my desk with a piece of paper under the dispensing tube. Every Time it dispensed food; the quantity was basically the same and always well within the quantity I would normally feed manually. I know there is always a risk with a automatic feeder; eg the dispenser malfunctioning ; or it dispensing too much. Yes; I've been lucky; and I hope it stays that way!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts