Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male Halfmoon who I have had since November, I can't feed him much because he gets bloated very easily and has trouble swimming. The thing is, his body is rather skinny, i've been feeding him Aqueon pellets, frozen and freeze dried Bloodworms along with some Brine Shrimp frozen and freeze dried as well. I have some frozen Daphnia that I give to my boys once in awhile also..

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a preference as to what they fed their Bettas- i would just like to see if i could get his body a bit thicker so he can swim right with his massive tail.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I have a male Halfmoon who I have had since November, I can't feed him much because he gets bloated very easily and has trouble swimming. The thing is, his body is rather skinny, i've been feeding him Aqueon pellets, frozen and freeze dried Bloodworms along with some Brine Shrimp frozen and freeze dried as well. I have some frozen Daphnia that I give to my boys once in awhile also..

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a preference as to what they fed their Bettas- i would just like to see if i could get his body a bit thicker so he can swim right with his massive tail.
I don't use this, but a lot of people would recommend Atison's betta pro for your situation. Breeders use it when they want to bulk up their bettas for breeding season.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use this, but a lot of people would recommend Atison's betta pro for your situation. Breeders use it when they want to bulk up their bettas for breeding season.

Do they still sell that product? I thought they discontinued it. I do have the New Life Spectrum pellets for small fish as well, i should have mentioned. I give those to him once in awhile since i can give him a bunch and not have to worry about him getting too bloated.. I think they might have a growth one as well, but i havent come across it as of yet at my PetCo.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes it's discontinued. I recommend New Life Spectrum, Omega One, or Hikari Bio-Gold. I believe Hikari is the fattiest out of all of them.

If he gets bloated easily I would feed him freeze-dried food. Frozen is fine, just use it as a treat. Other than that, you could try live food like mosquito larva.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, i'll go searching for the other NLS and I know for sure my PetCo has the Hikari foods. :) I'll keep in mind about the frozen food- I was thinking about the Glass Worms as well, but i'm not sure about keeping live ones in the house lol. I know you can buy them frozen too though, maybe i'll get some just to have around. I have 9 boys, so I do like to have lots of different foods and change it up for them from time to time.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay cool, thanks finnfinn, I looked around a bit on Google to see if i could find it but I didn't have luck. I'll save that page and try it out if the NLS or Hikari doesn't work. :) thanks

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, well darn. Whenever i feed them freeze dried food I let them soak a bit first in a cup before feeding them to the boys. Eery, the fish in question is the only one I have who gets this bloated.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/thecheese909/DSC08981.jpg

That's a picture of him before he ate, so you can imagine how he would look after, and that was after not feeding him for acouple days as well. He's in a jar for the next few days until I get his new tank set up, that's why there isn't any gravel or anything with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.