Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first serious aquarium; all my previous bettas have been kept in little bowls and averaged 2 yr lifespans. I just recently got a beautiful blue and yellow doubletail and wanted a nice large tank, as well as trying out some aquatic plants.

Right now my betta is in a small 1L plastic container while I get the parts together for the new tank. I am now looking at filters, something with low current due to bettas preffering still water, and something I could use with plants for a 10 gallon tank.

I also am wondering if there is anything I should know spefically about filters and aquarium plants; I plan to get some anubias plants and java moss to start off, later maybe adding duckweed, a sunken log and (maybe) dwarf hairgrass.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
These are my filters of choice for bettas: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3954
You will need an airpump.
They do zero damage to their fins which is why I love them and have a good surface area for bacteria growth.
Don't buy the one rated for 10 gallons, always go a little higer on filters. The 15 or 25 gallon one would be perfect for a ten.
I use one rated for 30 gallons in a 14 gallon tank because I like the large double sponges.
To clean these filters, I just place in the old water and squeeze once or twice.
With some filters/plants you have to worry about them being sucked up by the filter (just like the fish) but these won't give you that problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.