Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 3.3 gallon tank with a male betta that my grandma recently bought me, it doesn't have a filter unfortunately but my moms going to be getting me a 5 gallon with a filter soon. I was going to get the heater when I get the bigger tank but my fish has been a lot less active than usual and didn't eat yesterday or today so I think his water is too cold :(

He's still reactive and comes out to see me and looks at the food but won't eat it. I've offered him pellets, flakes, and today soaked some brine shrimp for him. He's just been lounging on top of his rock and in his hides a lot more than he was. I thought maybe he was just getting bored or something and didn't want to swim around but not eating is what's worrying me.

I've been trying to find a good heater but some of the reviews are scaring me because a lot on amazon seem to be killing peoples fish
Something on amazon would be easiest for me, I could order that right away. Or something on chewy? Does chewy have good fish supplies? I just want someone to tell me a good reliable brand. I could try to find them at a store but rather not go to Petco
Also what watt would be good? Will I be able to use the same heater when I change sizes or is that be too big of a jump?

Sorry I can't attach a photo of him, my camera is broken

Thank you for your time <3 I'm trying my best to take care of him with what I have, but wish I could've gotten more time to prepare because fish keeping is complicated!! Or at least way more complicated than people think. Any advice will be appreciated :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,

So sorry that you betta boy is having issues!!!

I use Hydor brand heater, and I got them from Amazon. I get the 25 watt version, as I only have 5 gallon tanks. I like them a lot because they are adjustable. I live in the deep south, so the temp ranges from day to day are ridiculous. I find that having an adjustable heater helps a lot.

Unfortunately, it looks like the 25 watt version is not available on Amazon right now.

Eheim Jager is a good brand and is highly rated. And they are adjustable, too. Hygger is a great brand as well and are adjustable. If you have to go with a 50 watt, as long as the heater is adjustable, I think that you will be ok. Both are available on Amazon.

You will have to take some time on the day that you put the heater in, and just adjust the temp as you need to. It will take a few hours to set it correctly, so you don't want to start off at a high temp. But once you get it where you want it, it should be good to go. The dials are not always spot on, so that is why you will need to spend some time getting it right.

Since you are getting a heater, you will need a good thermometer. I use digital versions. You can get those from Amazon, too.

Since your current tank is a 3.3 gallon, I would recommend doing 50% water changes every other day. Pristine water is the best defense against disease.

Also, I recommend using Prime water conditioner, if you aren't already using it. It actually will hold the toxicity of low level ammonia and nitrites in the water so that they won't affect your betta. If you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, you might want to read about that so you will know how that works.

I hope this helps!!! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts