Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was curious as to who makes the best and most reliable aquarium heaters for our purposes.

I have a ten gallon tank that I am going to subdivide into two compartments, and was looking for reliable, good performing heater. Also, it would nice to have one that is versatile enough to use in smaller and/or in a partially filled tank as well.

I've seen a number of people recommend the Aqueon Pro 50, but I've also seen number of people warn against it. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
I like Eheim and Hydor. The Hydor are smaller. Hygger makes one that is only about 5". I haven't tried that one, though. I'm sure you know this, but when the temperature set and thermometer differ the heater is almost always blamed. however, thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. I use a kitchen digital thermometer as they must be accurate. In one instance, I set the heater at 78; the aquarium thermometer showed 75; the kitchen thermometer showed 78.5.

I've had a number of divided tanks. For best results, they should be treated as separate with a filter and a heater in each section even if the dividers have holes. Otherwise, one side is going to be short-changed. If you go that route, do most of the water changes from the side without a filter because it will be the dirtiest.

You can use sponge filters and a pump to save $$. I use AquaTop PFE-1 which are for up to 15 gallons. They are adjustable; currently I am using one in a 2.5 with no issues. I even used one in a one-gallon hospital tank and it adjusted low enough that the long-fin had no trouble swimming.

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
Eheim Jager has a good reputation although quality has been going down for a while now. If you're splitting a 10g they might be too big.
Hydor Theo is good and would work in the tank as they are smaller.
Cobalt Neo-Therm are really good heaters, but the price is outrageous these days. I bought 2 a couple years ago at $22 a piece, don't even look at the price these days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts