Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my betta died last week but before I get another I'd like to clean my tank/gravel/artificial plants, etc, what's the best way to do this? I've read that vinegar is the best since it doesn't leave any traces, should I fill a pot with hot water and vinegar to scrub my plants/hides and then soak my filter, heater, etc? Can I use hot water and vinegar in my tank (2.5 gallon betta bow) and then just rub it down with a paper towel and then let it set for the vinegar to dissipate? Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can use vinegar or bleach. I think its like 1 part vinegar to 10parts water.
Don't quote me on it though, I'm not necessarily sure.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Either vinegar or bleach.. either way what is most important is to thoroughly rinse in as hot of water as you can stand. Most bacteria and such that would be in the tank won't survive hot water. The bleach/vinegar is more for our peace of mind (not saying they don't clean).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know everyone is gonna say "don't do it" but I've decided that once my tank is clean, along with everything else, I'm gonna get me another betta and use poland spring water since I've had NO luck using tap and water treatments

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I hope you understand the difference in overall/long term health problems that this potentially could cause. Keep in mind too with a minimum of one weekly water change- two if you don't have a filter, using bottled water will get quite expensive. Along with the correct type of minerals and nutrients you will need to supply to add into the water.

You may want to ask some questions about how you are caring for them before you decide to use something that isn't recommended-
Are you acclimating them properly to both the temperature and the chemistry after each water change?
How often are you changing the water?
What kind of water conditioner are you using?
How long do you keep the lights on in the tank?
Tank mates?
Size of tank?
What sort of decorations are you using?
Is there a filter? Is it baffled?
What is the temperature of the tank?

Also keep in mind a lot of bettas come home with us already ill, and sometimes we do not notice or they do not show symptoms of being ill for some time after they are home. Either it's external (something you are doing) or internal (an illness they went home with) that is causing it, as tap water is by far the healthiest/safest water to use. In the end, it's your choice.. but you may want to consider the why it's happening before going down a path that isn't ideal. Even if it's not your fault by any means, using spring water isn't going to change anything if you bring one home that is already ill.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Instead of 100% bottled, why not try half tap and half bottled?

I have questionable tap water and have now been using half bottled Spring water, I feel it is safer. But at least with half tap your still getting needed minerals.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just to add:

The solutions that you can use are water/vinegar and water/bleach

Vinegar/Water should be 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water or until you can start smelling the vinegar.
and,
Bleach/Water should be 1 part bleach to 20 parts water. This will clean the best but will require the most work to be sure that there is no residual bleach on your tank or decorations.

Make sure when you think your ready to set up your tank again that you can't smell any bleach or vinegar.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The betta that I bought before my 4th one died. Don’t know what was wrong. I think he was sick from the store. He was lethargic when I bought him. But I was searching on the forum how to disinfect the tank. I found instructions and I did it to the tank where is my 4 th betta now.
10% bleach i let it sit for 15 minutes than i wash it many many times with hot and warm and cold water. Wash it a lot many times , than i wiped it to make sure no bleach left on the walls. Then put it in sunlight for a few days to neutralize the bleach. Rinse it again.

Don't bleach gravel, plants anything that has ridges, holes....

Are you going to use anything from the tank?

I also read that you have to disinfect new plants and new fish.
Spring water I like wystearya idea half and half. Make sure it not purified water though. I used to use spring water deer park for 6 month than I used to do half and half for 6 month than I switch to tap water because I read a lot that it not enough minerals. So at least use deer park at least you know someone already used it before.

What wrong with your tap water? Why your fish died? Like Myates wrote it may be other reasons that he died

1 - 11 of 11 Posts