Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Aren't you supposed to Freeze it? To Kill Bateria or something?
I'm not sure...

·
Registered
785 Posts
You can Boil wood for 10-15 minutes to cook most things off of it. You can also soak it in a water/vinegar solution for a couple days. I have heard of baking wood but I don't know the procedure for that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is a huge pain. I would rather go and buy it. I have a small piece I broke off an old dead tree. I literally had to boil it for ten minutes, dump the water, refill and boil again about twenty times. Then I had to anchor it down for weeks, it was a big pain..

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
I collect and use my wood from my forest all the time and the way I pretreat....

I only use hardwood that is pretty dead-nothing green-I remove as much of the bark that I can-I soak it in a bucket of water for several days-As it softens I will use a scrub brush on it and a spoon to dig out any soft spot.

Depending on how dead and dried out it was to start....some wood can take weeks to years to sink-some I tie rocks to it to keep it under water.

For really big pieces of wood-you can place in the dishwasher (no additives) or you can boil it...I never do...and I personally wouldn't use bleach on wood...I don't worry about the wood tannins or flaking since I have dirt in my tanks anyway and it all becomes part of the soil....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.