Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I currently want another betta fish. ( I'm addicted)

But I currently have two 0.7 gallons, and I know that is too small for them to thrive. I want to upgrade my current beta to a bigger tank.
Should I wait, and buy a bigger tank? Maybe a 5 gallon so I can divide it for 2 bettas? I'm currently in school, and am short on cash and space, but are there any good brands thy come with a least a filter and maybe a heater, and are under $60? Thanks!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, bettas need AT LEAST a gallon. No less. At least 2.5 is recommended though. I would buy a 5 gallon and divide it or two 2.5 gallons.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
My betta fish Rusty lives comfortably in his 2.5 Aqueon Minibow gallon tank which I bought at Petsmart; I am sure Petco sells them too. He is resting in his betta tube which I bought from another member of our community. As you can see the tank is roomy for him. Take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My betta fish Rusty lives comfortably in his 2.5 Aqueon Minibow gallon tank which I bought at Petsmart; I am sure Petco sells them too. He is resting in his betta tube which I bought from another member of our community. As you can see the tank is roomy for him. Take care.
How much was this tank? (I live in Canada so I go to a Petsmart)

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
How much was this tank? (I live in Canada so I go to a Petsmart)
they are about $48 american (thats what they are where I live)
I love them and 2 out of 3 of my bettas are in them. I'll be getting another one soon for the third.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
thats true! they are cheaper on amazon. Also they might be more like $38 america where you are. I always forget that because I live in NYC everything is much more expensive (which is why most of the time I send money to my parents and have them buy stuff at their petco and ship it to me because that is so much cheaper).

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
A divided five would be cheaper than two Mini-Bows. And if there's space, a 10 is cheaper than a five and its footprint isn't that much larger. A 10 gallon is 20 x 10 x 12 high. A five is 16 x 8 x 10 high. You can use a compact fluorescent bulb in an incandescent hood.

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aquariums/top-fin-10-gallon-aquarium-kit-zid36-17606/cat-36-catid-300065?var_id=36-17606&_t=pfm=search

This one has a heater:
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aquariums/top-fin-10-gallon-aquarium-starter-kit-zid36-17600/cat-36-catid-300065?var_id=36-17600&_t=pfm=search

BTW, I have three males in a divided 10. I put a 2" wide strip of mesh across the top of the dividers (to make a "T") so they can't get from one section to the other.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Remember, one tank divided only needs one filter and one heater. :) It's always the heater and filter than get me into the money territory. :)

A 20g long (especially if you wait for one of the 1$ per gallon sales at petco, petsmart, or pet supplies plus) will easily house four bettas with one heater and one filter. That's about 4g per fish, which is good. :)

**Yes, I can do math. ;) But, you have to factor in that you're not filling the tank to the brim, and you've got substrate and décor in there as well, so you're safely taking out about a gallon per section. Still, 4g's is a good home for a betta, and the interaction with another fish is nice for them as well because it cuts down on boredom. Just make sure they do have some places to hide where they are unable to see one another for when they need a break. :)**

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Australian version of my name maybe? xD

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It's fine xD

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm not experienced with it but it looks okay to me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look, I'd love to have a 10 or even a 20 gallon! Thing is, I'd have to cycle it for a month, right? I also have limited space unfortunately. I'm allowed to have a 5 gallon, but a 10 gallon might be a big much.

If I get a five gallon, I'll divide it for 2 Betas, and possibly use my .5 gallons as hospital tanks and tanks to reduce betas that people are giving away close to me.

Thanks everyone, and I will keep checking amazon!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
A divided 5g is fine IMO, it's 2.5g for each betta which is enough room. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.