Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home today and my fishbowl was knocked over on the floor but my fish was still alive miraculously. I was the house cat, but I couldn't believe the cat didn't eat him. Part of my fish's upper tail fin is missing. He looks really sad is more brown than usual and he sometimes flops over. He can still swim to the top of his tank, but he's not eating his pellets. Is there anything I should feed him to help him get better? Anything I should do? I moved the tank to a safer place. I refreshed his water. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm just so glad he's alive.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I came home today and my fishbowl was knocked over on the floor but my fish was still alive miraculously. I was the house cat, but I couldn't believe the cat didn't eat him. Part of my fish's upper tail fin is missing. He looks really sad is more brown than usual and he sometimes flops over. He can still swim to the top of his tank, but he's not eating his pellets. Is there anything I should feed him to help him get better? Anything I should do? I moved the tank to a safer place. I refreshed his water. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm just so glad he's alive.
He would most likely be stressed out. It could take a day or two for him to start eating again, or longer. You could try soaking his pellets in garlic juice. Garlic juice can stimulate a fishes appetite.

If you have an air stone. You could put that in his tank, and put something over his tank for a day. That should help him feel more comfortable, and should lessen his stress.

Keep an eye on him, when a fish is stressed they can be more prone to other problems.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Keep his water really clean until he heals up as well if he gets fin rot a little bit of aquarium salt will help

Reactions: katelemke

·
Registered
67 Posts
But why is he in a bowl? He should be in a tank that is minimum 2.5 gallons with a filter. You should have a lid just in case. To prevent it from happening again, put the betta on an elevated surface where your cat can't reach him.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

The advice given above is good. Keep him warm and cover his tank so it's dark to help eliminate stress. You can add Seachem StressGuard, Rooiboos Tea (unflavored decaf) or Indian Almond Leaf. If you don't have one, I strongly suggest a heater. Reason below.

Accidents happen; I know, I've had lots of them. So don't feel bad or let anyone else make you feel that way. None of us intentionally put our pets where something might happen to them. There *is* debate over tank/bowl size. I am of the opinion, however, that until appropriate tank size can be determined by research then the important thing is keeping the water clean. With proper water changes/maintenance, filters are optional. Heaters are not because fluctuating temperatures can cause stress which can lead to compromised immune systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.