Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta ate a wolf spider by accident since the spider went into the tank while i was observing my betta. Any suggestions, i made my betta flare and he didn't do it as fully, lawn wasn't fertilized or had pesticides. Any help? I tried excersing him. Will feeding him peas help?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Bettas are insectivores so I don't think it will harm him.

In general, never feed your betta peas. I know many sites recommend this BUT bettas can't digest plant fiber so the pea would travel through his digestive system as one whole piece and it could rip the lining of his digestive track. If you want to feed him something to clear his system then feed him frozen (not freeze dried) daphnia. You can't find it at petco/petsmart so you will have to look for it in a LFS.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't think it will harm him. And I don't think that peas will help. They are laxatives for bettas, and if you mush it up I don't think it will hurt him, but it won't do anything for him. Just don't feed him today, and report if he starts acting differently.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I disagree, peas can hurt your betta. Which is why they are not recommend. Taeanna posted about it in a thread but I do not remember which one.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I disagree, peas can hurt your betta. Which is why they are not recommend. Taeanna posted about it in a thread but I do not remember which one.
I didn't know that they could hurt your betta. I have herd of people doing it with no ill effect to there betta(And it is recommended in TFH, and lots of books that I have read). I've also heard that Daphnia is safer, and has the same effect. (This is why I love these forums. You can learn a ton of information on bettas!)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
:lol:I don't think he ate it by accident! ;) He should be fine though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
Welcome to my parlor said the Betta to the spider.
It probably was actually fun for him to hunt and devour that thing.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I didn't know that they could hurt your betta. I have herd of people doing it with no ill effect to there betta(And it is recommended in TFH, and lots of books that I have read). I've also heard that Daphnia is safer, and has the same effect. (This is why I love these forums. You can learn a ton of information on bettas!)
peas are kinda like you taking a chance. I have used them once without any ill effect as well (this was before I knew that you shouldn't give bettas peas) but once I found out that there was a chance that they could harm your betta, its too much of a risk for me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Okay. That makes sense. Never risk harming your betta. Kinds of like soirities. They might work, they might not. (I hope this person doesn't mind that we hijacked their thread. )

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Exactly. Although, I actually do want a sorority some day. Once I have the space and equipment and ability to divide all the females up if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My betta ate a wolf spider by accident since the spider went into the tank while i was observing my betta. Any suggestions, i made my betta flare and he didn't do it as fully, lawn wasn't fertilized or had pesticides. Any help? I tried excersing him. Will feeding him peas help?
He'll be fine, just don't feed him for a day or two. If you're concerned, flare him a couple times a day and/or feed frozen daphnia if you can find it.

I bet he thinks he's pretty awesome for having taken down a spider a quarter of his size. :p My cats think they're mighty hunters whenever they catch bugs, so I'd imagine a fish might think something similar. XD

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I maid him flare, actually i fed him a wolf/jumping spider. He really likes me. I wanted my betta to be healthy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the pea is boiled and soft enough it will do no harm to the Betta. When i give a piece of pea to my Betta, it is so soft that it gets mushed up in my fingers.
The whole point of a pea is, since the Betta cannot digest it, it pushes through and comes out the other side along with everything else that was stuck in there.
The pea can and probably WILL hurt a Betta if its raw or not soft enough.

but yea, that's what 'ive read from many sources and from experience doing it multiple times.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I know Oldfishlady (one of our most experienced raisers and former moderator) feeds/fed all her betta a homemade diet which was mostly peas and shrimp (on second thought maybe it was spinach?) and raised many generations of fish on it. :-D I think the danger more involves a large piece getting stuck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it will be fine too. Bettas eat those things in the nature I guess?

I am not too sure about spider but my bettas eat mosquitoes. Even when they are flying near the water surface, the bettas have their ways of hunting them live, from beneath the water.

Nature!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts