Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this betta for about a year and a half. He's been a very... odd fish, to say the least, going through phases where nothing would stop him from biting his fins down to almost nothing, refusing to eat anything but a specific brand of food, and then becoming extremely demanding of exactly when he wanted to be fed.
Lately, he's been acting sick, lethargic, droopy and overall practically dead. He lays at the bottom of his tank most of the time, on his side, barely breathing. He'll occasionally, perhaps once or twice a day, haul himself to the surface for a gulp of air, and then he just drops like a rock. He hasn't eaten in almost a week.
I did an 80% water change as soon as I noticed this behavior, cleaned his filter, replaced the carbon in the filter, vacuumed the sand thoroughly and used the "medicinal" dose of API Stress Coat+ water conditioner.
He lives in a 5-gallon tank filtered with an AquaClear 5-20 gallon filter and has plenty of plants and hiding places to keep him occupied and mentally healthy.
The only thing I can think of now is that he's seriously sick with something I've never encountered before, or perhaps has become depressed.
I recently started attending college full-time, so is it possible that he's become lonely without my more frequent presence and thus become depressed?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If he only sees you for feedings then that might be so. I'm not good at identifying illnesses but i am sure the lack of activity has to do with some of his behavior. Try to put pretty things outside his tank talk to him and activate the space around him. Bettas love to look at things! I'm not In my room some days for a long time so when I comw back to my room show him art work or my homework lol he loves it! He swimms up and down the tank investigating what I have to show him.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds like he's got more going on than a case of the blues.
Do you have the means to test his water?
Could he have a rotting plant in there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of his plants are artificial, so that seems unlikely. I don't have a means of testing his water parameters at home, but one of my local pet stores will do water tests. Next chance I get I'll take a sample to them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
All of his plants are artificial, so that seems unlikely. I don't have a means of testing his water parameters at home, but one of my local pet stores will do water tests. Next chance I get I'll take a sample to them.
Get numbers from them, please. Don't just let them tell you it's "ok". And if they use a test strip, ask them to test ammonia, too. The last time I purchased test strips, they didn't have a test on them for ammonia, and that's an important piece of information.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
Please fill out this form and provided photos. It is especially important you be honest about water changes *before* your boy became ill. And if you take in a water sample take it in before a water change.

http://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-f...-out-form-so-we-can-best-help-your-betta.html

For future, fish are not humans. If they are lethargic, stop eating, etc., it is not depression; it is sickness.

I hope we can help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts