Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the oldest betta you have/had?
I recently got a pamphlet from a chain pet store on betta. Yes, I'm new to betta but don't agree with much written since the pamphlet is called betta/goldfish care and they lump them together.
Anyway, they said a betta can live for 9 years. I have never heard that, so just wondering.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My oldest betta Died in January of this year at the age of 9 years 4 months old. Betta generally live to about 6 years But since we as keepers have realized that Water quality and food and overall general care given prolongs the betta life. It's not always so. some betta live only a few months and die for no reason what so ever. So don't take your stores pamphlet at it's word. I have one elephant ear that just turned 6 in Jan, of this year also. he is doing just fine and I enjoy every min. I spend with all my charges. With Gunny well he makes me smile.

So the life span generally is 6 to 8 years as long as you take the time to care for them the right way. 9 years is a God send to have one as a friend that long.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That warms my heart. Other places were telling me one or two years. I guess that would be true with no water changes and keeping them in a small container. You did a wonderful job.

·
Super Moderator
19,501 Posts
Genetics, genetics, genetics. IMO, there is no "average" age because, in addition to care, there is the genetic angle. Just like with dogs, Betta have been altered over the last 50 years to meet the demands of the public....and this is not always a good thing.

My first five or six Betta, all VT, lived 7+ years. And they were in the only habitats available: Filterless, heater-less two gallon bowls.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. I have only seen people who got a betta from the local pet store for their kids/grandkids. Yes, cute cartoon character container, no filter, no heating. They did do water changes off and on. I didn't see their fish live past a year. For this reason, I've never wanted a betta, just ignorance. Now that I walked out of the store with one (shocked me), I am so happy to hear that they can live past one year. Never expected all the information I have found on this site. I can't thank all of you enough for helping me learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts