Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am researching to set up a 3 gallon tank for 1 male betta. As a kid I did own two bettas at separate times, but I did not know the proper living conditions for them at the time. Each lived for about a year. I'm looking now for a companion to help keep the tank clean and ghost shrimp seemed like a popular choice. once again I will be getting a 3 gallon tank, with a filter, and putting in 2 silk plants. Would i be able to keep ghost shrimp (1-2) in a tank that size? Are they a good choice? If so what is the recommended number? Any other companion suggestions for a 3 gallon are also appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I'd probably say no. Can you get anything bigger than a 3?

Even if you could, i'd probably only put them with live plants.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,466 Posts
Nothing wrong with a three gallon for a Betta. But anything under five, IME, is too small for shrimp and a Betta. It just doesn't give the shrimp enough places to "escape" when they are molting. However, I happen to love Assassin snails and they do great in a three. The Assassins or Horned Nerite are my choices for tanks 5.5 and under.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at them both and decided on getting 1 horned nerite to accompany my betta. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts