Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would go with a school of 6-7, personally. When they're in schools their less likely to nip, but think about your bettas personality. Is he docile or aggressive?
It all depends on the betta

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think a 10 gallon with a school of tetras is too small, just because they like lots of room to swim and sort of share the same space as bettas (mid to upper tank area). If you could do even 12 or 15 it would probably make a good difference. It also just depends on the temperament of your betta.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I agree with GreenTea, although I think that ember tetras are suitable for a ten gallon, being smaller and far less active. Have a look at those.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I temporarily housed 3 tetras for about 2 weeks in a 10g with my betta and he HAAAATED it. After they were picked up, he came out of hiding. Caught him flaring out his fins at them on multiple occasions.

I agree with bigger-tank thing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tetras need at least a school of 5 to feel secure and happy in a tank, and between them and a betta.. I think 10 gallons may be pushing it, as far as bioload goes. Might be more doable if you had lots of live plants and excellent filtration.

Whether or not your betta will attack them though is.. not easily predictable. Very much down to individual personalities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts