Betta Fish Forum banner

betta and PH please help

578 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  thekoimaiden 
#1 ·
I want to get a betta but I've been getting mixed answers from everywhere i look. My PH in my tap water is 8.2 and hardness and Alkalinity are both over 200. Should I mess around and get discuss buffer or neutral regulator, or will my betta be fine or just take the water dump it out and get a dog? :p Anyone else have bettas in this type of water?

#2 ·
Bettas are very good at adapting to high pH. Just make sure when you get the little guy/gal to acclimate it the right way- Place it in the tank full of dechlorinated water for 15-30 minutes in a bag or cup. After that, little by little add a small bit of the tank water in your fish's cup/bag/whatever and do that for three times in intervals of 5-10 minutes. That way not only has your fish adjusted to the temperature, it has also adjusted to the possible differences of water quality.... Just make sure the bag/cup isn't too full when you first put it in, but filled enough for your fish to swim around and get air when it needs to- I've made the mistake of having too much water in the cups and it filled up on me before I was finished acclimating it >.>;
I still do this with my betta when I change his water. It's not 100% necessary, but I do it for an added precaution. You never know if you accidentally put too much or not enough dechlorinater in comparison to last time or if there is or isn't slight differences from your water source this week in comparison to last week or how much of a difference it'll make if your fish is used to the old tank water vs. the 100% clean dechlorinated water...

Edit: Also, adding chemicals that mess with the pH can harm your fish- it's best to leave it alone 'cause you never know if the pH might crash on you otherwise.... The sudden jump in pH can really shock your fish's health, even to the point of death....

#4 ·
Messing around with water chemistry is never advised. Bettas can live in your water, but you might see some fin curling if you get a crowntail. It is purely aesthetic. If you know the bettas were bred in water with very different parameters (ie shipped from a long distance) you might want to very slowly acclimate him to your water using the drip method or something like it.

#7 ·
Would them indian almond leafs cause to much of a ph fluctuation? I did hear a lot of people saying they used them for beta health.

My tank is almost done cycling, so I'm so glad i can have my betta in my 8.2 water and I'm not the only one doing it. Hopefully he lives long and healthy! Thanks everyone.

One last question what do you think the highest PH would be for a beta to live in?

#8 ·
If you have hard water then the IAL won't cause any pH fluctuation. PH is tied to KH (calcium hardness, sometimes called alkalinity). The higher the KH the less likely your pH is to move. So having hard water isn't really a problem; it's more of a blessing as your pH will be very stubborn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.