Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta was acting kind of weird earlier. I had just added the usual amount of fertilizer to my planted tank and I turned my filter's spray bar around to let the water circulate better for a few minutes. I usually point the flow against the tank wall so that it dissipates and doesn't disturb my betta too much.

But after I put the spray bar back into its usual position, my betta started acting really weird. He kept hanging out underneath the spraying water and letting himself be pushed around by it, and almost lying flat sideways for a few moments at a time and letting the water run over him. Sometimes he'd get a bit stuck cuz it's a tight spot with some driftwood and plants, and he'd thrash around to free himself. I noticed he was starting to open some tears in his fins so I tried to get him to leave the corner, but he insisted on staying there.

I took him out for a bit while I tested the water, just in case something was up after I fertilized, but all the readings were fine. When I put him back in he swam around normally for a while before he wandered back into the corner where the flow was high, and then stayed there again.

Anyway I decided if he's going to flop around in the flow like that I might as well direct the flow away from the wall and from that corner, so at least he won't stay in that tight spot and potentially hurt himself. So I turned the spray bar around again.

After that he stopped trying to play around in the high flow and now he's swimming around normally again. I can tell that the water is pushing him around a bit but he doesn't seem to mind too much....

Anyone else experienced something like this before/have any idea what's up?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Bettas are odd- he made up a game he liked! I had one that would lay against the filter intake for no good reason haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hades loved messing with me like that. Whenever I turned the filter on he would lie down on his side with the "I am on strike. Obey me" look. And that always seems to happen whenever i turn it on.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Most of my Betta enjoy playing in the refill water when I pour it in. All my tanks have some current. It's good for exercise. Sometimes they swim right up to the outflow, then get blown away. Looks like fun. Wish I could do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.