Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Helios the platinum Delta tail, Kashet the blue mustard Delta tail
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I have any Cory catfish in a 10 with betta? Seriously confused and my mom thinks I should ignore what’s online and trust the pet store information. Pbfft to that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pygmy cory are perfect little tank mates for a betta in a nano tank i think and they have great a personality they remind me of a dog at times sitting in the water column wagging their tails.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I do think they're adorable. Granted this won't actually be happening until sometime mid July. I'm doing research right now.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
If you want a bottom feeder to help remove excess food, Salt and Pepper (Habrosus) are a good choice. They are the most sturdy of the "dwarf" varieties. But as you won't be adding until well after your tank is cycled you could try a bit more fragile species like Pygmy or Hastatus. If you go with either of those, they love to hang out on large Anubias leaves in the mid-tank area. My Pygmy and Hastatus used to swim in a line to go through the holes in the tank divider.

Habrosus, Hastatus and Pygmy Cory. In a 10 you can have a 10-12 member shoal of the dwarf Cory.

HabrosusCory.jpg HastatusCory.jpg PygmyCory.jpg

Have fun!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I will thank you. Again sorry for the grumpy post I changed on my other post. Hate waking up at 4:30 in the morning.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Panda sounds good. I'm not a fan of albino. I'll be doing a bunch more research on them all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Panda sounds good. I'm not a fan of albino. I'll be doing a bunch more research on them all.
I found Albino cory to be to hyper and constantly swimming up and down the glass which for me wasn't very relaxing to watch.From the research ive done the Salt and Pepper (Habrosus) is a great choice as they are more of a substrate fish and the Pygmy which are low to mid water fish and not as hyper as other Cory types like the Albino.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I haven't yet made up my mind yet. Still doing research and would love to hear everyone's stories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got four Pandas, 2 Thicklip Sunset Gouramis and a Veiltail Betta in my new 50 gal (recycled) tank. The Gouramis and the Betta are pretty much standoffish but the Pandas are doing great. Plus they're fun to watch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice. I'm defanitely leaning towards the panda corys. A question though. Has anyone had them on the fluval stratum or am I better off changing to smooth pebbles or sand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Panda corys get too big for a 10 gallon truthfully from what Ive read. I don’t have the time to read all the responses right now so I apologize if I’m being redundant. Yesterday I added some pgmy corys to my 10 tall with my betta (salt and pepper stay small and would work too). He tried attacking at first which was stressful but he stopped pretty quickly and he’s too slow for them anyway. Here’s a potential problem for you to consider that I might have to sort out myself. These adorable fearless little idiots want to school with him and he hates it 😓. He’s not showing aggression but their high activity all around him seems to be annoying him a bit so we’ll see what happens because his happiness is important! Corys prefer cooler waters so make sure you can keep the tank 77-78 so they’re both as comfortable as possible together temp wise :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. I'm still in the research stages and won't be adding anyone until late July or August anyway.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Has anyone had them on the fluval stratum or am I better off changing to smooth pebbles or sand.
I have them on a soil eqivalent to Fluval Stratum. It‘s no problem for their barbels at all but in general such substrate is not too ideal because the Corys will cause a lot of abrasion while searching for food. They are real gold diggers and the substrate is rather delicate compared to gravel or sand.
I would definitely use sand or the smallest gravel next time. Also easier to clean.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I actually got the Topfin gravel that's small enough that it looks like sand. Although I haven't switched over yet.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
That‘s a perfect choice. And it‘s of course up to you!

I wouldn‘t really recommend any active substrate unless you don‘t want to plant heavily and/or carpet plants. There‘s more disadvantage than advantage IMHO in the majority of all other cases plus it will get inactive anyway (the sooner the more KH your tap water has).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. I do have a few plants but that's more for cover.

·
Banned
Bettas: Strider, Smauge, Val, Kumar, Lady, Cookies, Donatella, Nerissa, and Tabitha. L Gecko: George
417 Posts
Nice. I'm defanitely leaning towards the panda corys. A question though. Has anyone had them on the fluval stratum or am I better off changing to smooth pebbles or sand.
I had 6 bronz in a 10 gallon and they did good. 6 is the minimum in a school but they do better with more. Pandas are about the same.. I did upgrade to 30 gallons though. Fluvle stratum is fine. I have it with my bronz and they do good. I would get a little bit of sand to put in a corner as they do love sifting though it though. 🙂 I have them with several live bearers and my female betta's. Also were in with a male betta at some point and did good. I've never had a "schooling with the betta problem". The corys definitely like digging lol! Mine do OK with live plants as well though. If you are having issues put some heavily smooth rocks they can not move around the plant so that they can't dig it up. 😄 My corys love cover and get stressed without it. Keep the live plants. They also need some hides to go in, out, and through. IMHO coconut hides are the best XD!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts