Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Panda corys get too big for a 10 gallon truthfully from what Ive read. I don’t have the time to read all the responses right now so I apologize if I’m being redundant. Yesterday I added some pgmy corys to my 10 tall with my betta (salt and pepper stay small and would work too). He tried attacking at first which was stressful but he stopped pretty quickly and he’s too slow for them anyway. Here’s a potential problem for you to consider that I might have to sort out myself. These adorable fearless little idiots want to school with him and he hates it 😓. He’s not showing aggression but their high activity all around him seems to be annoying him a bit so we’ll see what happens because his happiness is important! Corys prefer cooler waters so make sure you can keep the tank 77-78 so they’re both as comfortable as possible together temp wise :)
Thank you. I'm still in the research stages and won't be adding anyone until late July or August anyway.
research is important! I don’t understand why they’re so obsessed with him after he was trying to attack haha, their behavior reminds me of annoying little siblings that won’t leave him alone

·
Registered
Helios the platinum Delta tail, Kashet the blue mustard Delta tail
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep. But he's the cool older sibling. Honestly it was between the panda and salt and pepper cories anyway.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
If you want something unobtrusive that will blend into the environment I recommend slate propped against the side of the tank. I've been using slate coasters but any slate will do. Looks natural. Better yet, leaves all that room for more plants. :)
SlateCoasters.jpg

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep. But he's the cool older sibling. Honestly it was between the panda and salt and pepper cories anyway.
The pandas are so cute I had my eye on them too I was just worried there wouldn’t be enough space. Wanted to update you that my betta seems to love these little corys as much as I do! Once they became more comfortable in the tank they weren’t as “annoying” to him. I often see him swim with them, swim through their school (completely non aggressively), and rest near them watching as they scavenge around looking for food. It’s probably the cutest thing I’ve ever seen in my life and he seems to not just tolerate, but genuinely enjoy their presence 🥰

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes Helios was in a community tank with guppies at the store where I got him. I don't care much for guppies but think catfish are adorable

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Ok on the 16th I’ll be getting some salt and pepper catfish for my 10 gallon. I know I will have 12 altogether. How many batches should I do.
Will fluval bug bites and a good algae pellet work for them food wise? If so what’s a good one. I’m not allowed to bring live or frozen food into the apartment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wasn’t sure if 12 at once would be too many.
thank you

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yep that’s what I was thinking or just how many where at the store at the time. I just need seachem stability also?

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
You could do two bunches. However, I sometimes add 30+ fish to a tank. Dosing with SeaChem Stability will prevent cycle crashes or mini-crashes.

Some sites will say fewer than six shoaling species is acceptable. My favorite online live critter store, Aquatic Arts, even says three. :( However, Rachel O'Leary, one of this country's foremost authorities on all things Nano fish, says no fewer than six Nano shoalers with 8+ being best.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thank you. I will try to get all 12 at once I just don’t want to get too few if they don’t have enough at the time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yep that’s what I was thinking.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok I'm too impatient. They have a very long waiting list for the salt and pepper cats. I ended up getting 6 julii cory cats. So now I need to do some research on them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Correction 5 Julii’s and a mystery fish but here’s pictures.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
They are zipping all over the tank. I just changed the water today before I got them. Is that a good or bad thing?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
He practically matches the rock.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok I forgot to plug back in the filter and heater after I changed the tank but it's fixed now. Poor guys.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts