Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came in, just as on a nromal day, and I saw 6 very plump bettas looking at me from my sorority/community tank. Im like hmm, constipated? Then i noticed a dead fish floating, I immediately recognised it as a tetra, they had eaten the eyes, brain, and stomach contents. The fins were torn too.

Should I be concerned? and when will the littlest guys stomachs shrink? they are HUGE lol!

Should I move the tetras for safety?

Amonia was 0, as was nitrite. I did not test nitrate..

The neons would have shown signs long before the glow-lite died tho, this was a homicide! :p

I have another tropical tank if i need to move them but respond quick im goin 2 bed soon.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
You should move them. Not just for the Tetra's sake, but for the Betta's too.
Eating Organs? Ewww...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bettas and tetras don't always get along. I would move the remaining tetras fast and fast those piggies! I would start with a few days and just wait for their stomachs to start shrinking.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. I think its the new girls, i got them a week ago. I will put them with the male betta, he tends to be more peaceful with tetras.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
He could have died from natural causes and the fish have eaten him. I wouldn't neceserelly worry about aggression so early on unless it is a regular occurence within the tank

·
Registered
562 Posts
You do make a good point. I would still be concerned over whether or not they were fighting. Tetras can get nippy and that could aggravate the females. He would definitely need to keep an close watch on both the girls and the tetras.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Poor tetra- they're living with monsters and are probably stressed out now. I'd take them out even if the fish died for another reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh they get along great! They aren't stressed at all actually! I am really surprised about this tbh.

I am fasting them, and when thier bellies return to normal size, I will continue feeding.

so if I see agression, I will take the tetras out. I left them in because I feel pog's fins would be very tempting for them :/

soooo yeah thats about it :p the tank is highly decorated so I feel that there is sufficient hididng spots and limited visibility, and I feel comfortable leaving them alone in the sorority while I am at school, and this is the first occurence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts