Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi馃槹 my betta (prince blue) has eaten to make as my little sister feed him when I was away! And she feed him to much!! And he's belly is really BIG!! And he is just sitting at the bitten of the tank going up to get some air every now and then! What do I do!!馃槶

Registered
I would fast him as feeding more could kill him. Until the belly drops, just don't feed him and keep a watch on him.

Registered
Agreed, fast him until his belly goes down and you see plenty of poo. It could take a few days. Whatever you do DON'T feed him until his belly has gone down, and certainly don't let your sister feed him. Feeding him anymore at this point could very well kill him. They will eat as long as food is available, even if it means stuffing themselves to death.

Registered
Don't worry about your betta starving whilst fasting, fish can survive without food for months. I agree that until his belly goes down all of the way, do not feed him and keep the food from your sister.

Registered
If he is not too large, I would place him in a bare-bottom tank so that you can see when he poops. Again, clean warm water is the best treatment. Fast for a week, see if anything happens. If he isn't getting better at that point, epsom salts are a good laxitave to look towards. Never feed peas.

Registered
Don't feed him a pea. That will do more harm then good. Just fast him for a few days until his belly goes down.

Registered
Bettas aren't herbivores, they're not designed to digest vegetation. Think about the GI tract of an herbivore, say a cow, to that of a carnivore. An herbivore's GI is a lot more complicated, and longer, because it takes so long to break down vegetation. A bettas GI is more like that of a carnivore, thus a pea will not be digested, and essentially what happens is that shove the WHOLE CHUNK of pea thru their little tummies, and it can tear them up.

Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
Yep, he's full enough already, I don't think he can stand even 1/4 of a pea from the description.

Registered
How much peas are you feeding him? He may still need time to break down the amount of food he has in his system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts