Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor betta was attacked sometime during the night. He has been in the community tank for several months now with zero nipping or any other issues. I have placed him in his own 5 gallon tank for now, but I am concerned if he will heal well or not. I fear his fins are too far gone and worry what his quality of life would be if he did bounce back. He seems to be swimming well for now at all levels of the tank, but I am still worried how this will affect him long term. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

·
Registered
579 Posts
It does look like he may have some fin rot starting... No worries though, you can pick up some Kanaplex or Tri sulfa and begin treatment if your concerned... Otherwise a little Aqua Salt, some Stress Coat and regular water changes should be sufficient to help him bounce back

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Actually no there is no fin rot. But yes you can use AQ salt in a bath or just for a day to sterilize the wounds and then keep his water clean. He should bounce back fine if you keep the water clean and feed him a good high quality diet :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I added some salt to his water before I left this morning so hopefully that will help him. My main cincern was where his tail fin is concerned. It almost looks completely gone and I was unsure if this portion of his fins would grow back?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes, those fins will grow back if you keep his water clean. Is the 5 gallon filtered at all? It'd be best if you could do a ~50% change every other day until you start to see white/clear/grey regrowth coming in at that spot. I can see it's already starting to heal over and it make take a week or two weeks before you see much regrowth but yes, all their fins can regrow given the proper time/diet/clean water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great news! The tank is currently not filtered but I can add one when I get home tonight. If I do add the filter, will I need to do smaller water changes? This tank was set up frantically this morning before I left for work, so it isn't cycled at all either. He currently eats Hikari pellets and blood worms occasionally. Is there anything I can add or change diet-wise that will help him through the healing process?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
If it's filtered, it won't really make much of a difference on the water changes unless it is a seeded filter, otherwise I wouldn't really bother since you'll still have to do at least somewhere between 25-50% water changes at least every other day, twice a week is minimum for a healing fish. Once he starts to heal up you can ease off the water changes and just make sure the water is still healthy and he's getting good food.

Are the bloodworms freeze dried? If so, can you get frozen instead? The more blood in bloodworms, the healthier they are so it would benefit him. Any frozen foods are great so daphnia, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp is definitely good for him as well. You can feed those to your other fish as well as they are just really great.

As for pellets, I want to recommend New Life Spectrum for you. Hikari is okay but they've gone downhill in their ingredients in the past few years, they used to be good. However I only trust their frozen foods, I don't like the San Francisco Bay ones or any others honestly. But the cheap foods use fillers in the food, same as cat and dog food as well. You want to stay away from fillers as much you can for a good quality diet, these include Wheat, Corn and Soybean. It's just hard for the fish to digest those, however Wheat is alright since it is only used as a binder but you don't want to see it as the first ingredient. The first three-four ingredients are the most important (though animal foods are not required by law to list ingredients in order of weight like they do people foods) and you want to see whole fish meals or krill or spirulina.

NLS also contains garlic which I'm a huge fan of, it's a natural anti-parasitic food so it will help ward off internal parasites and it's very tasty to our fish so they'll love it as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for your time and all of your suggestions! I will implement the changes and hope he starts healing up with no issues. I also think I am done experimenting with my betta in the community tank!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'm just happy to help!

Yeah, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the fish in the community and of course the betta itself. I've had lots of success with Betta's in with microfish like Ember Tetras and Gelius Barbs but I usually don't recommend larger, thicker tetras or danios or anything since they like to bite which can result in something like what happened to your boy. Of course, everyone has a different experience and that's fine, it's all about finding the balance in your tank :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts