Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I currently have 7 fry: 5 platies, and 2 mollies. I saw some baby bettas at the pet store, and am interested in raising one to put in the 25 gallon tank I will be getting soon.

So, here's the question. My fry are about 3 weeks old. If I put a baby betta in with them, would he be large enough to eat them, or would he eat them?

If not, I think it would be great to raise him in a community tank from very young, and would love to have him in my 45 gal.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Betta fry would definitely need to be raised in the higher end of the platys' tolerance. Bettas should have their water temp around 80*F, whereas most sites say platies should be at 77* max. Otherwise, as long as they are all fed and one species can't fit into the mouth of another, it should be okay. Baby bettas come in all different ages/sizes at the store, so you'll have to pick one that is small enough that it can't eat the other fry. However, the smaller the betta the harder it is to keep it alive. If it is too small you may need to hatch BBS for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks! I did end up getting the smallest little betta I could find, an he's doing just great! He always has a little swarm of mollies following him around. As soon as my fry are large enough, they're going into my new 45 gallon tank, which I'm currently cycling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts