Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a betta fish, and I enjoy taking care of them. I just got this one last week. When it came, it was very healthy. I put in a 5 gallon aquarium with a zebra fish and a male guppy, no decoration because there is Methelene Blue in the water. They'll be transferred to the original tank that has decorations today when i clean it. Often, the betta fish just floats at the top in a corner and satys there, fins closed and lame. What's the reason for this? Temperature? I doubt very much that it is sick. the other fish swim fine.

I don't think its toxins in the water because the water is new, and with methelene Blue.

The betta gets aggressive in a semi normal manner with mirrors, meaning that it doesn't flar up immidiately when an image is seen, but a while after.

How can I get the fish to be normal, and swim around etc, instead of just looking, well, like a plant?

is this how betta fish are?

Also, when cleaning the tank, how much water to change?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. I live in the Caribbean, and the tank is in the middle of a living room. I doubt the temperature is that cold. Should I put the tank outside?

I will be transferring them to a tank inside of a room where an AC is on during the night, cooling the room to 22' celcius

Should I get a heater?

Do you think its because the water is new?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If the air temperature is 22*, the water will be much colder, around 20*. Bettas prefer around 26*.

However, a 5 gallon with a betta, one zebra fish(?), and one male guppy is too heavy of a bioload. In a 5 gallon, a betta can't really have any "fish" tankmates. He may be stressed out from all the ammonia that all those fish are producing.

Also I'm pretty sure zebra fish are schooling fish, so they need multiple members of the same species to be happy, which you definitely cannot have in a 5 gallon.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Okay bettas need temps to be around a stable 75-80 f not sure the conversion into celcius. I would get a thermometer and check to big of fluctuations is not good for the fish. And if the AC is on I would get a heater.
5 gallons is to small for 3 fish. I dont know much about your other fish but I do know 5g is much to small.
Also did you put water conditioner in the water?
What is the methelene blue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
methalene blue is a medication for fungus, fin rot, ick etc. So i'll take all the fish out, change 20% of the water, ad get a heater to use at night

Thaks for all your posts people, this website is great

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Does the fish have fin rot or anything that says he even needs the stuff? If he doesnt then that could be your problem giving him that stuff when not needed isnt good for him.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
5 gallons can support 2 fish (they're fine for a divided tank with 2 bettas. [but bettas have low bioload compared to some other fish]). I would get the heater and up your water changes. Do a 50% water change once a week.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yeah it would be best of you could keep the Betta alone in another tank with a heater. I agree 20 precent water change is not enough, do at least a 50 percent 2 or 3 times per week.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I agree. A heater is needed. The zebra danio and guppy are actually fine at that temp, but the betta is not.

As for why he is huddled in the corner with fins clamped, the simple answer to that is stress. Fish react to this one of two ways, curling up in a corner or lashing out; it sounds like yours is doing the former. Stress in fish isn't the same thing as stress in humans. When we talk about stress we're referring the betta having to use extra energy in different places rather than energy on just being him (ie swimming around and making bubble nests). If you're looking for a little more technical explanation, you can find it here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-articles/stress-freshwater-aquarium-fish-98852/

Now, about his tankmates. These are a big problem. Zebra danio are active schooling fish. They need to be in groups of 6 or more zebra danio as they establish a pecking order. Danio will still try to do this even without other danio around. Which is where their mildly aggressive reputation comes from. Guppy are another bad choice for betta. The flashy tails of the males can incite bettas to aggression because they resemble other male bettas.

Personally, I would put the danio and the guppy in the main tank you are talking about and leave the betta by himself in the 5 gal. It's perfectly good size for a betta and with some fake or real plants can make a very nice home.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Guys I just want to point out there are two of these threads with the same titles, and the other one has the form filled out, the tank has no filter, is not cycled. I reccomended 2 weekly changes- 1 50% and 1 100%

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113552

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thekoimaiden

Ok I'll clean his original tank and put it in. I'll remove the methalene blue, and get a heater. 50% water changes. I'm going to clean the tank now: put the stones in boiled water, wash the plants, how much new water do I put in?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok my loyal betta-caring peeps', I bought a pump, its fully setup, water changed. The fighter looks unwell, has a thin strip across its length, and it fins are closed, and don't open much when its flaring...BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT!!!!! Wait for it Wait for it......

It's swimming around, curious of its soroundings, and hardly sticks at the top or the bottom. it's eating well.

From from all of your valuable advice, I would now:

- change 50% of the water twice a week, and 100% change and cleaning every 2 weeks
- Continue to sprinkle rock salt in the water (i bought that today)
- I figure i don't need a testing kit because I'll be cleaning often.
- remove the zebra and the guppy and leave the fighter alone. The zebra died this morning, don't know why

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Sounds good, just don't put salt in his water!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
no salt....crap food table salt or the rock salt a betta grower uses for her healthy fish?
Never use table salt. But rock salt as well as aquarium salt will cause organ damage if used too long. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=74527
Idk about rock salt but AQ salt cannot be used more than 10 days.

I would do a 100% water change today to get all the salt out of the tank.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
so no salt, ok. wouldn't changing the water now upset the nitrgen cycle, and get the fish sick?
Your cycle has not even started. A tank can't cycle unless you have a filter. What will make him sick and kill him is being exposed to salt. A 100% water change is needed to get rid of ALL the salt.
If you ever need to treat him with anything, put him in a seperate tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
shouldn't I leave the salt for a day since the fish is not all that well? It's fins are closed, and it has a light stripe across its side.

What are your thoughts on the lady that raises and sells betta fish, and she puts the salt in the water of all her fish every time she changes 100% of the water once a week?

Even when sold, the water in the bag has salt

Her fish are great

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.