Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have lost almost every betta I have ever owned to sickness or something. I am an experienced aquarium keeper (almost a year and a half now) And I feel like Betta's just aren't for me. I feel like the better care I take of them, the more I lose. I'm frustrated and upset. Any advice? I still have two that I'm caring for but...idk I'm just getting tired of losing fish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Clean the 10 gal once a week, and then the two one gals get a half change, and a full change a few days later once a week. I add extra prime because of ammonia in my tap water every two days, and I have a plants in there growing like weeds to absorb. I have successfully kept several kuhli loaches in the same tank since I started, and they're supposed to be more sensitive than bettas.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was the same way. The more I obsessed over making sure everything is right, the more I ended up killing. Geronimo was my last betta that I bought before my obsession took a back seat while I was adjusting to a new house and new full time job. I of course took care of him, but I for sure wasn't obsessing over him like I had my others. I've had him since. . . . hm. . . I think July. He so far has been my longest living guy (I hate to admit that. And as of late I have been taking in some pretty bad shape bettas). so I don't know if you were like me and they were your life for a year, or if you just have them and are taking care of them. But I suggest just kind of step aside for a bit. Focus on you or something else for a time, but still care for them. If this at all makes sense.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sometimes they already come with disease, or weakened immune systems from what they have been through before you ever got to them. Its a good idea to call up the store and find out when they get shipments, they are the healthiest when they are newly shipped. that way you can get a betta that hasn't been sitting on a shelf in a cup for possibly months.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
See, my one healthy betta, was a rescue with a horrific fungal infection and he's fine. Every one who has looked healthy in the store has died on me after a few weeks. And the real kicker is I keep loaches, and they're considered SUPER delicate because they have no scales, and they're all perfectly fine! I also am gone most of the time. My tank lights are on a timer, and I feed about every other day because my memory stinks. So they're pretty backseat already, but the things I do keep up with are the water changes, because of ammonia in the tap water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts