Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First, I'd like to thank you all for being so helpful in my fish keeping endeavors. I'm very thankful that you all are so patient and kind!

Before my tank went kaput, I had purchased a betta to put in that tank roughly a week ago. Thankfully, he hasn't come into contact with that tank and is fine. Right now he's in our quarantine tank, waiting for my roommate and I to cycle the tank properly.
But, I have question. When I bought this new fish, named Gaster, the store said he's a halfmoon. But, he's a bit small and his fins at full poof aren't long enough to create the half-circle shape I've seen in pictures. This is him:

For reference, the skull there is about 5 inches long and 3 high.

Gaster's definitely not small enough to be a female or a fry, but I'm starting to wonder if he's a juvenile? He doesn't flair at his reflection, and I read that juveniles rarely do.
I also know he isn't a vail tale or crown tail, but he just doesn't seem to be a half moon. So, I'm wondering if he really is a half moon, or he's just too young to have fully curved fins yet.

Gaster's very beautiful and I love him very much. I hate to keep him in this .5 gallon, but he has to stay until the new tank is safe. Thankfully, he's been doing pretty well and has adjusted to our dorm room pretty well! He loves the skull decoration I found :3

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's funny, I also have a male white halfmoon named Gaster (Undertale reference). Get him to flare by putting a mirror in front of him and see if his finspread is wide enough. I thought my halfmoon was something else until I got him to flare. (Halfmoons normally don't have that wide finspread all the time.) If he doesn't look like a halfmoon even when flaring then he's most likely a delta tail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my Gaster is also named after WD Gaster from Undertale. I want to make him a nametag for his tank that spells his name in Wing Dings just for fun :3

But, yeah, he doesn't seem to react to his reflection other than with curiosity. he stares at it, but remains pretty calm. I've also never heard of a delta tail. But, looking at pictures, he does resemble those bettas a bit more. I guess I'll just have to wait 'till I find something he will flair at.

Does you Gaster have a black beard? I decided on Gaster because he has a black beard and a tiny black spot on his chin, not to mention his pitch black eyes.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
In order to be a halfmoon, when flaring his caudal has to reach 180 degrees. Anything below that he's a delta

1 - 4 of 4 Posts