Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering why betta breeders from thailand or asia have Jars with water that have a brownish color or greenish? is it the bacteria that eat ammonia if so how often do they change the water?

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's Indian Almond Leaf, also known as IAL here on the forums. They release tannins in the water that make it a brownish color which simulates a betta's natural habitat, as well as adding some natural benefits(unfortunately I forgot what else they do). You can achieve the same goal with Oak leaves.

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
The brownish color is caused by Indian almond leaves which release tannins into the water. IAL helps in spawning and helps with healing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh thank you! :D soo they still need regular water changes like normal. I thought it was bacteria so cleaning of cages could be extended since its a fish farm and there are too many fishes to care for

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sometimes it is algae growing on the sides because it is kept near the sunlight.
I have that too sometimes.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Jars must be cleaned a minimum of three times a week. I keep a few tubs of treated water handy so I can just net, dump, fill, and replace the fish.

Ive stopped using IAL in my jars. I only use it in breeding tubs and sick fish jars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's Indian Almond Leaf, also known as IAL here on the forums. They release tannins in the water that make it a brownish color which simulates a betta's natural habitat, as well as adding some natural benefits(unfortunately I forgot what else they do). You can achieve the same goal with Oak leaves.
Oak leaves realy? iv never heard of useing oak leaves dose it realy work just as good as the IAL?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I love oak leaves for people like me who have a hard time getting hands on them. Not as good as IAL but still really good over nothing or over green tea. As long as their not sprayed or have pesticides your clear. You can place leaves directly in the tank or boil them to get the tannins out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts