Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently discovered (1-2 days ago) that my betta has callamanus worms. There are 4-5 worms protruding from his anus. He is not eating and his only tankmate is an apple snail whom has been in there a good few months.

Anyone know how to treat them? I am very worried.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 26C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Single Apple snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqua one betta granules
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Granules
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Pinch the size of his eye, once a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 1/3
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out
What additives do you use? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: UNKNOWN
Nitrite: UNKNOWN
Nitrate: UNKNOWN
pH: UNKNOWN
Hardness (GH): UNKNOWN
Alkalinity (KH): UNKNOWN

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1-2 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Worms protruding from anus
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? NO TREATMENT YET
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Purchased February 2016. No history of illness.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread ended up being something different but Mike gives a solid explanation on these awful things and how to treat as well as his experience! Take a look through: http://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-f...709913-please-help-whats-inside-my-betta.html

Well after reading that threat and reading practically every website I can find, I went with an avian wormer containing levamisole (Aristopet Worming Syrup for Ornamental Birds). 7mls of the wormer into his 40l tank. I also soaked some bloodworms in aquarium water + the wormer (he loved them!). it's been about 4 hours and already he has a large amount of mucus coming out of his anus, as well as several low-hanging worms.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Good! Make sure you vacuum the tank daily to get rid of the worms! I hope he can recover soon :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts