Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the ebook betta fish care made easy cant you get it anywhere else? is it an actually real book i cold go to barns and noble and buy it cause idc i would pay 30 40 dollars for the real life page by page book that i can read myself and pick up and read instead of going all the way out to my comp every time and i simple do not trust that at all seems like just a scam cause how could you put a price on information that would help bettas everywhere idk not know everything i need to know is kinda making me give up on the whole entire betta care and breeding cause it almost seems like everyday i am dealing with new problems and it almost seems like im doing everything wrong but thats kinda all i am doing is reseaching and learning everything i can and it seems like the more i read about and try and learn and do the less it helps cause everything different and nothing makes sense i really really want to breed betta and have them in the most perfect healthy conditions i can..... its really stressful and is really makeing my life harder i didnt think it would affect me soo much but it really is cause its not like i dont know anything about bettas but when it comes to my own bettas and how they act and everything they do it almost feels like i know nothing at all and always come back to the internet and still i just dont even know what to do i really need help and seems like all this really good easy help cost money and really spent soooooooo much money and everything i have and learned its just crazy idk really need help bad just dont even know what to do anymore

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't pay out for a book when there are so many experts right here on this forum who want nothing more than to help other betta keepers. :) They'll never get tired of helping or answering questions.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had a little trouble reading what you wrote, try to split up main topics into their own paragraphs for an easier read.

As for betta knowledge! This is the right place, I've learned just about everything there is to know about betta from reading just about everything on this forum and asking questions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i was freaking out lol.... well i have 2 problems that concern me alot! i need to know how to set up a tank 20 gallon collum tank(its taller not wider)..... i have two male bettas reds in vases and there water gets tooo cold alot and makes me stress we heat our house with a wood stove so thats tuff to make it warm the room ya know....

·
Registered
785 Posts
First off you should never put male bettas together in the same tank, as they will kill each other. You can float them in the warmer water so that you can heat them up with only one heater. As for a tank set up, bettas like places to hide so plants or decorations with plenty of spaces to rest in are ideal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright and this is my main problem ive been having... we started out when we gout our frist couple females we bought 3 at once cause they were all in the same vase and we already had a 10 gallon set up for a male preveisly but he died.... well we got them home and stuff and after like maybe a month or 2 we started doughting that this one white one was a female which you could ssee in my other thred so we went out bought another 10 gallon took the real females out put them in there own home and then he seemed fine for the most part but like i started noticing he was always hiding in his lil house thing and always laying down in it and almost seemed like he couldn't keep him self up idk he still swims i thought maybe it could be he is depressed cause he was around a bunch of laidies and now he aint got any and it seemed like maybe he came from a spawn that had a female that looked just like him but smaller smaller everything fins and all that so maybe its his sister or sumthing dose not wanna be away from her or idk so we just recently put her back in with him and 2 more females hes uber passive almost like a girl but he use to flare at them a lil but nothing deadly idk im not sure it feels like i get some messed up situations i fed him peas yestersday and was thinking about giving him a salt bath but its pretty hard to explain whats going on with him unless you are here and watch him its weird idk how to explain it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off you should never put male bettas together in the same tank, as they will kill each other. You can float them in the warmer water so that you can heat them up with only one heater. As for a tank set up, bettas like places to hide so plants or decorations with plenty of spaces to rest in are ideal.

yeah i understand not to put 2 males together they are deff not they are in 2 separet vases and those were suppose to be tempary but have to many tanks and fish kinda dont know what to do they are the only ones in vases with there water getting around 70 and a lil lower at night

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've been told that giving bettas peas is not a good idea because it is empty calories and they are primarily meat eaters. Even though your fish may be getting depressed from being away from another fish you should still have him in a tank by himself. You never know when or if they will snap.

I believe you said you have two 10 gallons and two vases. If you can support a sorority in the 10 gallon then I would do that for your girls(there must be tons of hiding places and at least 4 girls).

Then you can divide your other 10 gallon into 2-3 equal areas for your boys. (You can use craft mesh or tank dividers). Just be sure that they can't see each other so they don't stress out(put up decorations around the dividers to reduce their chances of seeing one another).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah omg my white male cant even keep himself up right just will filp right upside down and all his fin are horriable they look really really bad i gave him a salt bath today but he barely swam around what should i do!!!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Okay so it sounds like swim bladder, a picture would help with the fins.

So for the swim bladder, get like a milk jug or anything else that holds a gallon. Buy some unscented and uncolored epsom salt Very important to get plain). Add water that is around 78 degrees and then add the dechlorinator, after that add the 1 tsp of the salt. Shake the salt water well and make sure it is all dissolved. Then acclimate your betta slowly. He can stay in there for 10 days on the safe side. I think it can be longer but just to be safe. Keep him in a smaller container to make doing the necessary daily 100%s.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I would actually suggest raising the water temperature to 82 during medication.
You mentioned that some of your fish are currently in water as cold as 70 degrees. If you don't raise those temperatures ASAP, chances are you will have more sick fish. I would invest in gallon Kritter Keepers and small adjustable heaters for each of the fish currently in cold water.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Warmer water = less stressed fish, less stressed fish = healthier fish.

Warmer water will help, I would still do the treatment I suggested, just keep him warm.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I would actually suggest raising the water temperature to 82 during medication.
You mentioned that some of your fish are currently in water as cold as 70 degrees. If you don't raise those temperatures ASAP, chances are you will have more sick fish. I would invest in gallon Kritter Keepers and small adjustable heaters for each of the fish currently in cold water.
Agreed
And the kritter keepers aren't very expensive, around $15 a piece. And get the larger ones, not those smaller hand held ones. The smaller heaters shouldn't be that expensive either.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Okay.. I'm sorry if I miss anything, but trying to make sense out of your writing..

He is or isn't have trouble swimming? In one statement you said he was swimming fine, in another you say he can't.
As mentioned above, the correct treatment for buoyancy problems would be 2 teaspoons of Epsom Salt per gallon, daily 100% water change, adding in the salt each time.
Salt baths tend not to work and best to keep them in the salt continuously. That goes for both AQ and Epsom salt- but AQ salt is limited to the amount of days they can be in it. If it is a swim bladder problem, it can take 5-8 days to work.
AQ salt will make swim bladder/buoyancy problems worse..

Peas are used by some people to treat constipation- but won't work for swimming disorders. Peas are generally not ideal to feed to bettas, as their GI tracts are short- and peas are empty calories/carbs, and not ideal for an insectivore/carnivore. It won't kill him, but it's not healthy for him either.

Fish don't become depressed.. they don't have minds like us, so loneliness, depression and even fear is something they don't comprehend and feel. It's more like he is having health issues due to different causes, possible coldness, not enough water changes, over feeding of lower quality foods, etc.

If you have only two females together in a 10 gallon it will be very highly recommended to divide the tank, or make it very very dense with plants and add in 3-4 more females. Otherwise you will end up with two very injured or dead fish.

Dividing a 20 tall for two males will be hard, you will have to make your own dividers.. you cannot have males with females without barriers, and you cannot have males together, regardless how calm they are. They will fight in no time.

For breeding.. it will cost at least a few hundred dollars to set it up properly. The basics are home tanks for each breeding fish, a spawn tank that is 10 gallons and up preferably (not a home tank for any other fish), a grow out tank of 30 gallons or larger, a couple hundred jars for the bettas when they start to attack one another. You must provide heat for each and every tank, and jar, appropriately- heat is a VERY important thing for a fry, and without it they can easily have health issues and not survive. Have to ask yourself how you will heat all the jars appropriately and safely.
Sponge filters are needed for the tanks, and it's wise to learn how to make a drip system to allow changing the fry's water and adding in water to be safe for them.
You must feed a few times a day, cleaning up right after feeding- the tanks need to be cleaned more then usual for fry. Cultivating the fry food (which is a few different types before they are able to eat pellets/flakes) can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 4+ weeks.. they need live foods. You would also need to set up a brine shrimp hatchery, which is another tank and a whole other ordeal. You will have to hatch the shrimp continuously for weeks while the fry grow.
You will have to condition the breeding pair for a few weeks before attempting to breed. This is done by feeding live foods and generally not allowing them to see another betta.
You will also have to find a way to sell hundred of bettas once they have grown- most stores don't buy off of a person, but rather businesses of mass breeders. You will probably have to end up selling online, in which you will need to learn how to ship a live fish and have it survive, and the rules of it, and where you can legally ship. That will cost you money too, to start that up.
It's a long, expensive process of breeding, and not to be taken lightly. We can help guide you and teach you if you are serious.. just wanted to make sure you understood what is involved.. and that if you can't properly house the ones you have, breeding isn't something you should be considering any time soon to be honest.

How often are you changing the water in your tanks and vases, and what is the %?
What do you feed them and how much per day?

I hope I am not sounding rude, it's not my intention- I just want to clarify a few things, and to see where you need help at.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no no no deff not rude! but thank you sooo much everyone for being nice even you myates i thought you were really nice about it not rude at all.... and yes sadly to say i screwed up big time and i also think it was too late because he stopped breathing and moving all together last night i gave him till this morning and he was floating on his side at the top of the water made me cry sucked bad..... im sorry to have wasted ur time and concerning everyone but he was my favorite and i should of been more in touch with them in stead of not ya know......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i didn't mean to make you believe i wanted to pu the males in the 20gallon but yet put them in a ten gallon but thats a nvm..... i wanna put my females in the 20 gallon i have set now and i wanna get the 2 red males in the 10 gallon tanks i have one for each of the 2 males.....

20Gallon- as of right this second its full of conditioned water(betta safe from meijer) with a aqua clear 20 filter with zeolite carb, sponge block, boimax pellets in a bag... i have had it running for like a couple hours i wanna move my females into the 20 gallon but not sure how long do i run it with just nothing in it but water and and when or should i add gravel and decor/houses(i use lil plastic shot glassses got for my 21st bithday they love em deff recommened) and when should i add fish ? how should i add them one at a time all at once in a side tank that hangs on that gose in/out both sides u know what i am saying

then for my 10 gallon that had my white male in it i changed the water last night for him 100% took all gravel out and put houses and fake plants back in with a brishle nose what should i do about that tank take the alge eater out put him with them females in the 10 gallon tank they are currently in and are doing great... and then clean it out caus eim not sure is the water tainted from that male dieing and being dead in the water for over 24hours????

because after i get the 20 gallon all set up with all the females in it i wanna take both ten gallons and turn those into tanks for the 2 red males i have currently in vases in which i do 100% water changes for both males at the same time every single friday and between the week i dump out half out there water on tuesday night at around 11-12 at night in which i fill back up with betta safe water conditoner.... this is alot of typing so im not the best at grammer or spelling sorry i am glade you are working with me and my half dumbness about grammer/spelling

also with the breeding think thanks soo much for the info everything you typed and whateveryone else typed will not go to waste i am actually going to copy paste and print it out and everything and file it... but yes on the whole breeding this yes that is way later and i am glade we are both thinking the same thing that i need to get them all healthy and taking care of them all the right way before i even start buying any breeding stuff

also wanted to make a not that i have been referring to this book i bought from a V.I pets for like 8 bucks and it has help alot but i think there is alot of unknown info i need to learn about the book is called
BETTAS-a complete pet owners manual by robert j. goldstein ph.d.

thanks for being there for me and my fish everyone thanks soo much if i ever have anyone ask me questions about my fish i will deff. let them all know i have learn almost everything i know at bettafish.com

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Sorry about your little guy. :(

20Gallon- as of right this second its full of conditioned water(betta safe from meijer) with a aqua clear 20 filter with zeolite carb, sponge block, boimax pellets in a bag... i have had it running for like a couple hours i wanna move my females into the 20 gallon but not sure how long do i run it with just nothing in it but water and and when or should i add gravel and decor/houses(i use lil plastic shot glassses got for my 21st bithday they love em deff recommened) and when should i add fish ? how should i add them one at a time all at once in a side tank that hangs on that gose in/out both sides u know what i am saying
There is no point running a tank with just water in it. You either need to put a source of ammonia in there and cycle it fishlessly, or add all the decor and the fish in now and do a fish-in cycle. However, in a sorority, you are going to need more than just shot-glasses - you should have lots of dense plants, live or silk, all over the tank to provide lots of shelter for the girls.
Personally, I would add all my girls at once. Alternatively, you can add them in order from least aggressive to most aggressive.

then for my 10 gallon that had my white male in it i changed the water last night for him 100% took all gravel out and put houses and fake plants back in with a brishle nose what should i do about that tank take the alge eater out put him with them females in the 10 gallon tank they are currently in and are doing great... and then clean it out caus eim not sure is the water tainted from that male dieing and being dead in the water for over 24hours????
No matter what you do, you need to find a bigger tank for the BN pleco. He's going to get 6 inches long, and plecos have too big a bioload for a ten gallon. Putting him in with the betta girls will overstock the tank, so I would suggest leaving him in the ten gallon by himself for now and adding him to the 20 gallon when you can.
Definitely do a 75-100% water change on that ten gallon to get rid of the ammonia that will have accumalated in the tank.

because after i get the 20 gallon all set up with all the females in it i wanna take both ten gallons and turn those into tanks for the 2 red males i have currently in vases in which i do 100% water changes for both males at the same time every single friday and between the week i dump out half out there water on tuesday night at around 11-12 at night in which i fill back up with betta safe water conditoner....
Sounds like a good plan. A vase (as you know) is not a good long-term home and your fish are probably very cold. I would actually put one of them in with the pleco for now to keep him warm and healthy, and maybe float the other in a breeder box in the same tank.

also with the breeding think thanks soo much for the info everything you typed and whateveryone else typed will not go to waste i am actually going to copy paste and print it out and everything and file it... but yes on the whole breeding this yes that is way later and i am glade we are both thinking the same thing that i need to get them all healthy and taking care of them all the right way before i even start buying any breeding stuff
Good luck with the future breeding! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so for the ten gallon tank that has just the BN in it that my male died in he was probly dead in there for 24 hours and um yeah im not sure if we are talking about the same BN cause when i bought him the pet store dude said he would stay small cause he was a certin kind of BN that dont get much bigger than he is not which is like barelyy an inch so idk if thats true ill try and take a pic of him which is almost impossiable but thats just not me cause nothing is impossiable(and dont wanna get into the yes no situation witht he impossiable thing ok it just sumthing i like to tell myself)(not trying to be rude either) but yeah thanks for the help and well for some reason i heard its good to let the filter and water run for 2 weeks before introing my fishies but if its ok to put them in now i think i am gonna go buy may 2 more females that will make it 7females and a chinesee golden alge eater(not sure if that the right name got him at meijer and its the chinesee one or whatever but yeah gonna go to the pet store to see if new female came in brb deff let ya know if i get any new females

1 - 20 of 24 Posts