Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings :)

So, I purchased my first betta 4-5 weeks ago and have run into an issue I'm puzzled by.

When I got Neo, he had a yellow-gold head and mostly turquoise fins (some parts white with a turquoise spot here or there) with some yellow/gold in them. Over the past week or two, Neo's head has started greying (it's splotchy grey right now) and his tail fin is developing a vertical white stripe just inside the edge (starting from the body and moving out, his tail fin is now turquoise most of the way, a thin area turning white, and then turquoise on the end). I'm trying to decide if he's sick or if he's marbling.

Here are the details of his environment/habits:
  • alone in a 5 gallon tank with a gentle filtration system and a variety of plants (silk) and structures (to swim through/play in)
  • temperature maintained at 78 degrees
  • 25% water changes weekly with new water heated to 78 degrees to avoid temperature shock - stress coat added with each water change
  • tests indicate a pH of 7.2, no nitrates, very minimal nitrates, very little ammonia, and hardness and alkalinity in an acceptable range
  • weekly feeding schedule: 1-2 pellets twice daily for 5 days, fasted for 1 day, and fed prepared pea bits 1 day
  • activity level is normal - he swims around a good part of the day and always greets me when I approach the tank.
  • No symptoms of velvet or ich or other illnesses as far as I can tell.
Any ideas on what could be going on with him?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Try to get the ammonia to 0, as "very little ammonia" is still too much.

You will need to post a picture in order to get accurate feedback on his color change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea on the photos! I've posted before and after below. I apologize for the poor quality. The photos are from opposite sides of Neo, but he's pretty symmetrical side to side color-wise. (He was a fin nibbler when we first got him as well, but that has stopped now, thankfully!)

I also re-checked the ammonia levels just now and they're at zero.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
From what I can tell it just looks like a natural color change, which is fairly common in bettas. Just keep a close eye on him and make not of any changes in behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts