Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo, Emiko is the betta in question. His fins have started growing out longer, so the ends got all longer and pointy, and his top fin grew a lot longer, but now I notice that about every hour his fins are looking smaller, more clamped up, but then i look at him a bit later and they look rather normal, just slightly different because of the now long pointy tips, and how they are growing, plus he flares up just as big as before and his personality has not changed, except he was laying on the bottom for a minute but that's not exactly unusual so that doesn't really matter.. Anyway, I'm just wondering why he clamps them every hour or so, and maybe more about betta fin growth? Thanks to any answers.:roll:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Are you sure it is really "clamp"? Some Bettas relax their fins, and they have the appearance of sticking together HOWEVER when a Betta actually clamps up, their fins "stick" together. Can you get a picture of when his fins are close together?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it is really "clamp"? Some Bettas relax their fins, and they have the appearance of sticking together HOWEVER when a Betta actually clamps up, their fins "stick" together. Can you get a picture of when his fins are close together?
Yeah, maybe my wording was a bit off, heh.. And okay, I'll try to get a photo!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
And he doesn't stay that way at all? Usually when a Betta clamps up, they become lethargic, sometimes refuses to eat, or has other signs of illness/diseases/parasites.

How big is the tank?
How often and how much is it cleaned?
Do you add tap water conditioner?
What temperature is the tank at?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His fins just look a bit, I don't know,.. like,.. less together, slightly more full sort of, however his fins are not rotting away or anything like that. He is eating just fine and he laid at the bottom a couple more times than usual, but not for long. His behavior is normal still.

6.6 gallons
about every week and a half, it is filtered and heated so that's why I do a half water change every week to week and a half.
Yes,
And it is always at about 81.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His fins just look a bit, I don't know,.. like,.. less together, slightly more full sort of, however his fins are not rotting away or anything like that. He is eating just fine and he laid at the bottom a couple more times than usual, but not for long. His behavior is normal still.

6.6 gallons
about every week and a half, it is filtered and heated so that's why I do a half water change every week to week and a half.
Yes,
And it is always at about 81.
I explained that so stupidly oh my god! BASICALLY LOL, his fins look a bit stuck together and more dull sort of, and are changing shape.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If his fins are growing, he might appreciate more places to rest near the surface. That might also cut down on his bottom resting.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If his fins are growing, he might appreciate more places to rest near the surface. That might also cut down on his bottom resting.
So, do you know any behavior that is typical of Bettas when their fins are growing? And okay,. i will get a betta hammock possibly then..

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Well it's not the actual growing that changes the behavior, but rather the weight of the fins. They can really drag a little fish down.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I had a fish whose fins would grow very long VERY fast... and they were really thick. He ended up "trimming" his fins to make it easier on himself :lol: It does way them down. Some put up with it... Or some, like mine, find a way to make it better for themselves. That would explain him being a bit more sluggish, and wanting to rest a lot more.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohhhhh.. Okay, i'll get some kind of plant for him to rest on then. Thank you! I'm still a little worried about his fins though.. They do seem a bit smaller, yet longer..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a fish whose fins would grow very long VERY fast... and they were really thick. He ended up "trimming" his fins to make it easier on himself :lol: It does way them down. Some put up with it... Or some, like mine, find a way to make it better for themselves. That would explain him being a bit more sluggish, and wanting to rest a lot more.
I'm just really paranoid cause my last two fish both got really bad fin rot.. But yeah, I think he might heave bitten his own top fin lol.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Definitely keep an eye on it if you are worried. A sideways U is usually a bite... a < shape is usually a tear or rot. I have three HM males I got in, and their fins have been chewed because of stress during shipment. Clean water (or either issue) is usually the best thing, unless further medicating is needed. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll keep a close eye on him! And see, his top fin grew reaaaaaaaally long and it seems that he bit off the super long skinny tip part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts